The Prismatic Lacewing is a rare flying Critter that spawns in the Surface Hallow from dusk until midnight after Plantera has been defeated. When killed by a player, it summons the Empress of Light; death from non-player sources other than Fallen Stars will not result in summoning.
The Prismatic Lacewing can be caught with a Bug Net. Releasing it from the inventory (with ⚒ Use / Attack) and killing it will still summon the Empress of Light (though it will quickly disappear if released outside of the Hallow). Only one Lacewing can be naturally spawned at a time. Because it can only spawn between dusk and midnight, its spawn is limited to between the times of 7:30 PM and 12:00 AM. It can also be used to craft a Prismatic Lacewing Jar.
It is one of the few critters that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Lacewing is classified in-game as an enemy so that no other monsters would be able to kill it and subsequently summon the boss. However, player summons will not actively target it, though they may kill it by accident while attacking another enemy.
- Using a Bug Net, you can keep it in your inventory to later release it at a more appropriate time, such as to fight the Empress of Light when better prepared.
- The Lacewing will despawn almost immediately if released outside the Hallow, but can still be killed to summon the Empress of Light if done fast enough or if placed directly onto a damaging projectile.
- Lacewings will only spawn on Hallowed grass (not including its mowed version), Pearlstone Blocks, Pearlsand Blocks, and Pink Ice Blocks.
- A Lacewing can only be damaged by a player if they are close enough and will appear translucent if the player is far away. This is likely done to prevent accidentally summoning the Empress of Light while the Lacewing is off-screen.
- Lacewings can spawn during events such as the Lunar event, even in pillar zones.
- The Lacewing can be killed by bees or traps, which will not summon the Empress of Light.
- If the player hits a Lacewing without killing it, then lets bees or traps kill it, the Empress of Light will spawn.
- Unlike other critters, the Lacewing does not regenerate life.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Guide To Critter Companionship can be helpful to prevent accidentally summoning the Empress of Light.
- A Lifeform Analyzer can be used to see if a Lacewing is nearby.
- Using a Battle Potion and Water Candle increases its spawn rate, like other monsters.
- Building a platform roughly 35 tiles above a Hallow biome while under the influence of a Water Candle, you can expect 3-8 Lacewings to spawn, provided you are there from 7:30 PM to 12:00 AM.
- If you do not have a surface Hallowed biome in your world, you can use a Clentaminator with Blue Solution to create one.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Bestiary entry for the Prismatic Lacewing: "Should one of these luminescent beings perish in the chaos of night, a sleeping tyrant is rumored to violently awaken."
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Spawn rate significantly increased.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206.0: Introduced with change from 220.127.116.11.