Pulsating Hearts will usually be confined in Crimstone Blocks, which is similar to Ebonstone, but, like most things in The Crimson, is red. However, sometimes when the Crimson is generated too close to another biome such as the Snow Biome or the Underground Jungle, the Hearts may end up being only partially encased, or sometimes not at all.
Pulsating Hearts can be destroyed by a Hammer or a Bomb/Dynamite. Pulsating Hearts resemble the heart in the center of the Brain of Cthulhu in its second form, but smaller, and without the eye in the upper right. Pulsating Hearts are also known as "Demon Hearts".
- The Undertaker
- Musket Balls will also drop whenever this item is dropped.
- The Rotted Fork
- Panic Necklace
- Crimson Rod
- Crimson Heart
Upon destroying a Pulsating Heart, one of the following messages will be displayed in the bottom-left corner of the screen:
- "A horrible chill goes down your spine..." (First heart broken).
- "Screams echo around you..." (Second heart broken).
- "Brain of Cthulhu has awoken!" (Third heart broken), which means the Brain of Cthulhu has now spawned and will begin attacking the player.
The player may also see one of the following messages some time after breaking any number of hearts (see linked articles for details on these events):
- "A Meteorite has landed!" (50% chance of occurring the Night after the orb has been destroyed.)
- "A Goblin Army is approaching from the east/west!" (Has a chance of occurring when you have met the other conditions of a goblin army attack).
- Now can drop an Crimson Heart.
- Added to the game.