Terraria Wiki

Miss the old Hydra Skin? Try out our Hydralize gadget! Visit the preferences page while logged in and turn on the gadget.

READ MORE

Terraria Wiki
Advertisement
Pygmy Staff
  • Pygmy Staff item spriteold Pygmy Staff item sprite
Stack digit 1.png
Statistics
Type
Damage34 (Summon)
Knockback3 (Very weak)
Mana10
Use time28 (Average)
Velocity10
TooltipSummons a Pygmy to fight for you
RarityRarity level: 7
Sell7
Research1 required
Grants Buff
BuffPygmiesPygmies
Buff tooltipThe pygmies will fight for you
Projectile created
  • Pygmy 1
    Pygmy 1
  • Pygmy 2
    Pygmy 2
  • Pygmy 3
    Pygmy 3
  • Pygmy 4
    Pygmy 4
  • Pygmy Spear
    Pygmy Spear
Obtained from Obtained from Obtained from
Classic mode icon.png Classic
Expert mode icon.png Expert
Master mode icon.png Master
EntityQty.Rate
Plantera
(Second Form)
PlanteraPlantera
(Second Form)
125%
Treasure Bag
(Plantera)
Treasure Bag (Plantera)Treasure Bag
(Plantera)
150%

The Pygmy Staff in use.

The Pygmy Staff is a Hardmode, post-Plantera summon weapon. It spawns a pygmy minion that follows the player and attacks enemies with a ranged spear attack. Like other minions, the summoned Pygmies is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, cancels the buff, or leaves the world. The Pygmy Staff is dropped by Plantera with a 25*1/4 (25%) / 50*1/2 (50%) chance.

Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Pygmy Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.

Notes[]

  • Summoned pygmies do not deal damage themselves. Instead, they attack by throwing spears twice per second.
    • Spears do not pierce enemies, and vanish on the first target hit. On the Desktop version Desktop version, Console version Console version, Mobile version Mobile version, Nintendo Switch version Nintendo Switch version, and tModLoader version tModLoader version, the first spear thrown per volley will pierce through enemies.
    • Spears do not prevent other spears from hitting the same target. However, so overall damage per second increases linearly with the addition of more pygmies.
    • Spears have a 66.67*2/3 (66.67%) chance to inflict the Poisoned debuff for 10–20 seconds, and a 33.33*1/3 (33.33%) chance to inflict Acid Venom for 5–10 seconds. One of the two is always inflicted.
  • Summoned pygmies' aim is somewhat inaccurate, so they might miss even relatively close and static targets, let alone moving ones.

Trivia[]

  • Each time the pygmy is summoned, it randomly has one of four possible sprite graphics. However, they are all functionally identical.
  • The pygmy catches up to fast-moving players by flying while standing, sitting, or hanging on its spear.
  • It is one of only four weapons in the game that can inflict Acid Venom without any buffs or bonuses, the others being the Spider Staff, the Venom Staff, and the Queen Spider Staff.
  • In real life, the term pygmy peoples is used for ethnic groups whose average height is relatively short. It is primarily associated with the African Pygmies.

History[]

  • Desktop 1.4.1:
    • Projectile speed increased by 50%.
    • Detection range increased by 40%.
  • Desktop 1.4.0.1:
    • Reduced the duration of Acid Venom from 10–20 seconds to 5–10 seconds.
    • Item and minion sprites updated.
    • Minion spear sprite updated.
    • Minion spear no longer pierces.
  • Desktop 1.3.0.1:
    • Pygmies now have a chance to inflict Poisoned and Venom.
    • Pygmies now have a larger range and the first projectile thrown will always pierce rather than getting stuck.
  • Desktop 1.2.4:
    • No longer requires mana.
    • Damage increased from 29 to 34.
Advertisement