|Damage||130 / 80 / 150 (Summon)|
|Knockback||7.5 (Very strong)|
|Use time||30 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Summons a sentry|
Summons a radiant crystal that banishes your enemies
'The colors, Duke, the colors!'
- Rainbow Crystal
- Rainbow Explosion
The Rainbow Crystal Staff is a Hardmode, post-Moon Lord summon weapon. It summons a sentry-style minion that lasts for two minutes, remains stationary, and does not count against the player's minion capacity. The Rainbow Crystal Staff has a 1/9 chance (11.11%) to be dropped by the Moon Lord.
The Rainbow Crystal Staff summons a temporary crystal that deals high damage to enemies within its 60-tile range. Unlike other sentry summons, the crystal floats in midair at the cursor position when summoned, rather than falling to the ground. Attacks are animated as a spread of colored light beams targeting the closest enemy. The beams themselves do not do damage; damage is dealt only by delayed explosions at the end of the beams.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Rainbow Crystal Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- The crystal may sporadically attack through blocks, though this does not occur often.
- The light beams from the crystal will detect enemies that have not appeared on-screen yet. This is useful for detecting which direction new enemies will appear from.
- Pressing ⚷ Open / Activate while aiming at an enemy will focus fire on that enemy until killed, or the target has been switched.
- As with all sentry summons, summoning another sentry will cause the crystal to disappear, unless the player has an accessory to increase the limit.
- Though it has the highest base damage of any summoning weapon in the game, the long delay before the Rainbow Crystal creates a damaging hitbox makes it almost completely useless against fast enemies. It is effective only if the player can somehow lure enemies into getting stuck in one place, or force it to target areas where enemies are guaranteed to appear (such as right next to the Mysterious Portals in the Old One's Army). If the player is being chased by an enemy, it is possible (and very likely) that the Rainbow Crystal will be unable to land a single hit on the pursuer.
- The Stardust Guardian can draw the aggro of a handful of grounded-based enemies and lure them to a single spot where the Rainbow Crystal can pick them off.
- This weapon has massive range and can target enemies far off-screen, though it prefers to aim at closer targets. As such, it is recommended to place this sentry high in the air to provide it with the widest view; its accuracy will not improve if it is close to its target.
- Because it does an immense amount of damage upon contact with players in PvP and can be placed in midair, most regulated PvP servers ban the use of this weapon.
- The quote in its tooltip, "The colors, Duke, the colors!", is a reference to a popsicle commercial.
- The Rainbow Crystal Staff has the highest base damage of all sentry summon weapons.
- When summoned through mods or 3rd-party software, its projectile’s color is red.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Damage increased from 80 to 130.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Damage decreased from 150 to 80.
- Fixed accuracy issues, improved the speed at which sparkles explode.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Now considered a Sentry minion.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206: Introduced.