Rope is an item that primarily provides quick vertical mobility. It can be placed adjacent to blocks in any direction, or in midair where background walls exist. Once placed, Rope is utilized by pressing ▲ Up or ▼ Down while moving over it.
All Rope variants operate identically, but are acquired in different ways. Additionally, Vine, Silk, and Web Ropes offer a +3 range bonus.
- Rope is purchased from the Merchant for 10 each, and can be found randomly in Chests, Slimes, and Pots.
- Vine Rope is acquired by destroying Vines while the Guide to Plant Fiber Cordage is equipped in a non-vanity accessory slot.
- Silk Rope is crafted from one Silk, producing 30 Silk Rope, at the Loom.
- Web Rope is crafted from one Cobweb, producing 3 Web Rope, by hand.
Visually, the player appears to move along Rope using a mechanical tool with wheels, as though they were riding a rail (this tool appears automatically when utilizing Rope, and does not exist as a separate item).
Vertical movement speed on Rope equals that of a freefall, though moving down via Rope and hitting the ground will not cause Fall Damage. Sideways movement is also possible, by placing adjacent Rope horizontally, but is much slower. Rope can be placed atop existing placed Rope, which will extend the total length of the rope downward, without the player actually having to be at the bottom of the Rope column.
10 Rope can be crafted into a Rope Coil, which produces the same resulting Rope placement, but cannot be placed directly. It is instead thrown at blocks. On impact, a Rope Coil becomes a placed vertical stack of ten Ropes. If the throw misses blocks, it drops as the Rope Coil item. If it impacts but cannot extend down 10 tiles due to other blocks in the way, the excess Ropes drop as Rope items. Rope Coils cannot be hung in midair from background walls, as the ordinary Rope item can.
|Template:Crafting recipe||Template:Crafting recipe|
- Rope works very well for building Hellevators because players descend at the same speed as free-fall, and ascend fairly quickly as well. It's very easy to obtain and can be placed at the top of the Hellevator over and over again to bring the rope all the way down.
- The player can also place rope even if the top is anchored to nothing, and can even extend it skyward, the only requirement being that the original rope is anchored to a block or background wall. This can be utilized to easily access Floating Islands: build a rope column upwards while climbing skyward. Similarly, rope can be used quickly ascend to the surface when you are exploring the ocean.
- Flying into a rope and continuing to move on the rope will maintain the velocity of flight.
- Making silk rope instead of cobweb rope is better as silk requires less amount of cobweb thus allowing the player to make more rope.
- Range increased from +2 to +3.
- Introduced new varieties of rope: Web Rope, Silk Rope, and Vine Rope.
- 1.2: Introduced.