- Internal NPC ID: 142
Santa Claus is a Hardmode NPC vendor that arrives after the Frost Legion has been defeated, but only during the Christmas season ( December 15 – December 31 / December 1 – January 15, or unlocked for an in-game day outside of those dates by completing the Frost Moon), after which he dies. He sells many Christmas-themed decorations and vanities during this time.
|Santa Hat||15||Always available.|
|Santa Shirt||15||Always available.|
|Santa Pants||15||Always available.|
|Christmas Tree||25||Always available.|
|Red Light||5||Always available.|
|Green Light||5||Always available.|
|Blue Light||5||Always available.|
|Star Topper 1||5||Always available.|
|Star Topper 2||5||Always available.|
|Star Topper 3||5||Always available.|
|505 Topper||5||Always available.|
|Bow Topper||5||Always available.|
|White Garland||5||Always available.|
|White and Red Garland||5||Always available.|
|Red Garland||5||Always available.|
|Red and Green Garland||5||Always available.|
|Green Garland||5||Always available.|
|Green and White Garland||5||Always available.|
|Multicolored Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Red Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Yellow Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Green Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Red and Green Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Yellow and Green Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Red and Yellow Bulb||5||Always available.|
|White Bulb||5||Always available.|
|White and Red Bulb||5||Always available.|
|White and Yellow Bulb||5||Always available.|
|White and Green Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Multicolored Lights||5||Always available.|
|Red Lights||5||Always available.|
|Green Lights||5||Always available.|
|Blue Lights||5||Always available.|
|Yellow Lights||5||Always available.|
|Red and Yellow Lights||5||Always available.|
|Red and Green Lights||5||Always available.|
|Yellow and Green Lights||5||Always available.|
|Blue and Green Lights||5||Always available.|
|Red and Blue Lights||5||Always available.|
|Blue and Yellow Lights||5||Always available.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Living preferences 
For more information, see NPC happiness.
During a Party:
When it's Raining:
During a Windy Day:
During a Thunderstorm:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes 
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Snow Biome:
When in the Desert:
When near the Tax Collector:
This content is transcluded from Christmas § Tips.
- Christmas can be "activated" by setting the device's date to any date within the respective Christmas timespan.
- Change the computer's date to any day between December 15th and 31st.
- Disconnect from Xbox Live / PSN and change the console time.
- Disconnect from automatic date/time updates and change the time manually. Note that this does not work for some devices.
- Go to "System Settings" and go to "Other Settings, click on "Date and Time", then "Today's Date" and "Current Time" and set the date and time there.
- Go to "System Settings" and go to "System", click on "Date and Time", turn off "Synchronize Clock via Internet" and set the time there.
- If a change of the device's time is undesired, applications like "RunAsDate" allow launching Terraria with a changed time and date.
- Changing the time back to normal will cause him to die at the next sunrise.
- If he is spawned in while it is not Christmas via TShock or similar third-party software, he will die instantly.
- As long as the Frost Legion is defeated once in a world, he will arrive every time Christmas content is active in that world. They do not need to be defeated each Christmas.
- If a Snow Globe is obtained and brought into a pre-Hardmode world, Santa Claus can be summoned outside Hardmode by defeating the Frost Legion and having available housing for him.
- Santa Claus sells 39 items at any given time, more than any other NPC.
- Two other NPCs sell more items only during certain conditions. The Golfer sells 39 items only if the player has a golf score of 2000 or higher. If the Golfer is happy enough, he will additionally sell a Pylon, therefore expanding his supplies to 40. Also, the Tavernkeep will have 40 items available once Golem has been defeated.
- It is not possible to buy back items sold to this NPC since the last item slot cannot hold any sold items.
- In the Console version, he has a description in the housing section saying "A jolly old fellow".
- "Ho ho ho, and a bottle of... Egg Nog!" is a reference to the fictional sea song Dead Man's Chest, originally from Robert Louis Stevenson's adventure novel Treasure Island which was first published in 1883. The song contains the verse "Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum".
- The Pirate also makes this reference, saying, "Yo ho ho and a bottle of....blinkroots!"
- He has the least number of possible names, having only one.
- In the housing menu, he is described as "Santa Claus the Santa Claus".
- Santa hating the Tax Collector is likely a reference to Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, where protagonist Ebenezer Scrooge (whom the Tax Collector is based on) despises everything to do with Christmas, hence Santa hating him.
- This is currently the only NPC to actively love or hate a biome – all other NPCs simply like or dislike certain biomes.
- Santa's interaction quote during a Storm, "Oh ho... whoah! There goes Dasher. There went Donner, too!" is a reference to the fact that Donner is the German word for 'Thunder', as well as one of Santa's reindeer.
- The Bestiary entry for the Santa Claus: "Only present during a specific time of year, Santa Claus makes a big entrance and an even bigger, rather explosive exit. Ho! Ho! Ho!"
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Now attacks enemies in sight by throwing baubles.
- Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Introduced. Sells Santa Hat, Santa Shirt, Santa Pants, Red Light, Green Light, and Blue Light.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.10061: Santa now requires the Frost Legion to be defeated before he'll spawn.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.