|Damage||60 / 53 / 55 (Magic)|
|Mana||7 / 6|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Creates a shadow beam that bounces off walls|
- Shadow Beam (friendly)
The Shadowbeam Staff is a Hardmode, post-Plantera magic weapon that is similar to the Necromancer's standard attack, creating a purple beam that travels instantaneously to its maximum distance (approximately 108 tiles), bounces off blocks, is unaffected by gravity, and emits a moderate amount of light for its entire length. It has a
5*1/20 (5%) / 7.38*59/800 (7.38%) chance to drop from Necromancers in the Hardmode Dungeon.
The Shadowbeam Staff's projectile can travel far and pierce an unlimited number of enemies, but for each enemy struck, the beam loses 10% / 20% of its damage. Each enemy will only take damage once, regardless of how many times the beam bounces to hit them again.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
- The Shadowbeam Staff is very effective in the Dungeon or other enclosed underground areas, where the beam can ricochet multiple times and pin down targets. Its ability to quickly light up an entire room can also help in navigating these areas.
- Due to its infinite piercing, it is useful against worm-type enemies like The Destroyer, but only the first few hits for each shot will do significant damage.
- When fired against a hammered slope, the beam will hug the slope and follow it up, instead of ricocheting off. This can be used to create safe areas for invasions where you can still attack enemies, but they can not attack you.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Damage increased from 53 to 60.
- Use time decreased from 16 to 15.
- Damage reduction for each target hit reduced from 20% to 10%.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Damage decreased from 55 to 53.
- Mana cost increased from 6 to 7.
- Drop chance increased from 2.5% to 5%.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Beams now have diminishing returns.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.