On the Old-gen console version and version, a variant of Shark known as Orcas can be found in the Ocean. Despite their differences in name, sprite, and stats, the Shark and Orca have the same behavior.
- Sharks can only spawn within 250 tiles of the map's edge, or from a Shark Statue.
- Sharks do not flop around on land like most other fish, making them less dangerous to approach when beached.
- Along with other water enemies, Sharks will ignore players who aren't submerged in at least one tile of water.
- Sharks charge the player and can move quicker than most players. They are highly resistant to knockback, but strong weapons will usually at least halt their advance.
- Rapid-fire weapons, flails, and multi-attack weapons (such as the Swordfish or the Boomstick ) tend to be effective against Sharks. Autoswing weapons are also effective against sharks as long as they have decent knockback. Because of their extremely fast attack rate and their Autoswing feature, the Arkhalis and Terragrim are quite useful when dealing with Sharks.
- Using a Water Walking Potion or Water Walking Boots to stand at the surface and dive slightly down periodically, the player can attract Sharks to within striking distance while staying safe. The Flipper accessory will keep the player from sinking to the bottom.
- To safely and easily hunt sharks, construct a spot to stand on, but remain half-inside water. Add a shield of blocks in front of the player to one tile above the water's surface. Use an arcing ranged or Flamelash-type weapon to fire around the shield, or a Vilethorn to fire through the shield.
- A similar method is to stay on the Ocean floor, dig a small pit in the sand, and build a shield above the player but not connected to the ground, leaving a one-tile gap. Sharks will try to attack but won't fit. The player can then attack with impunity. If the player is lacking proper swim gear or a Neptune's Shell, a stack of Gills Potions may come in handy for this approach.
- An easy way to farm sharks is to place Shark Statues over one bucket of lava stretched over a twelve block space, and activating the statue with a one second timer. This kills the sharks without risk to the player and keeps the items from being destroyed.
- In real life, orcas are not actually related to sharks at all, but are a type of dolphin.
- Despite its in-game behavior, orcas are mainly docile animals and do not attack humans, unless provoked.
- Real life sharks rarely attack humans deliberately, instead mistaking swimmers for injured seals, which are their prey.
- The Bestiary entry for the Shark: "Once these ocean predators catch a whiff of blood, they become relentless and unstoppable in their ravenous pursuit."
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Now has a chance to drop Shrimp Po' Boy.
- Fixed an offset pixel in animation frames 1 and 3.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now has a chance to drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Removed Orca. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Removed Orca. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced with Orca variant.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Removed Orca.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced with Orca variant.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with Orca variant.