|Knockback||2 (Very weak)|
|Use time||28 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Summons a baby slime to fight for you|
|Buff tooltip||The baby slime will fight for you|
- Baby Slime
The Slime Staff is a pre-Hardmode summon weapon that summons a Baby Slime minion. Baby Slimes attack by bouncing on the ground and chasing enemies, rapidly dealing contact damage. Like other minions, the summoned Baby Slime is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, cancels the buff, or leaves the world.
The Slime Staff generally has the rarest drop chance of any weapon, with minor exceptions. The typical drop rate from most slimes and Slimed Zombies is
0.01*1/10000 (0.01%) / 0.0143*1/7000 (0.0143%). Pinky has a greatly increased drop rate of 1*1/100 (1%) / 1.4286*1/70 (1.4286%). Additionally, Sand Slimes have a drop rate of 0.0125*1/8000 (0.0125%) / 0.0179*1/5600 (0.0179%). The slimes which cannot drop the Slime Staff are: Lava, Dungeon, Umbrella, Hoppin' Jack, Corrupt (Shadow), King Slime, Queen Slime, Crimslime, Gastropod (Spectral), Rainbow.
Unlike other summon weapons, its best possible modifier is Mythical because both the Ruthless and Mythical modifiers only raise its base damage to 9 due to rounding.
- The maximal potential attack frequency of Baby Slimes on any given target reaches six hits per second.
- Although it is extremely rare, it is possible to obtain the Slime Staff almost immediately after starting a new game.
- In Celebrationmk10 worlds, the Slime Staff can be purchased from the Princess for 10.
- An easy way to obtain the Slime Staff without much effort is to construct a statue farm with one or more Slime Statues, and lava just deep enough to not destroy any drops as it kills the slimes. Leave it alone for a while, and occasionally check if the staff has been dropped yet. Using advanced setups like engines and multiple statues can greatly accelerate the process. Note that as of version 18.104.22.168, there is a limit to how quickly statues can be triggered.
- Another way to quickly kill a lot of slimes is to summon King Slime or to wait for a Slime Rain.
- An early way to get it would be to intentionally die several times, use all the Tombstones to make a Graveyard, and farm Slimed Zombies.
- Abigail's Flower can also spawn in graveyards, and is potentially easier to obtain.
- The Slime Staff when coupled with Lucky Coin and the Broken modifier is a great money maker since its attacks are fast but not strong.
- It can be used to keep weak enemies like Meteor Heads away while focusing on other tasks like mining.
- The summoned Baby Slime is summoned at the cursor, and therefore can be used to attack enemies on the other side of walls.
- The Slime Staff has among the lowest drop rates of any enemy-dropped item.
- Prior to 1.3.4, the Slime Staff had the lowest base damage of any summon weapon. Since 1.3.4, the Lightning Aura Rod has lower base damage, though it also ignores defense.
- The Baby Slime summoned by the Slime Staff appears to be a baby version of the Toxic Sludge slime, being similar in color, and having a face as well.
- When the Baby Slime is moving to attack an enemy, it will destroy Pots, grass, and vines.
- If the player is moving too fast, the Baby Slime will fly to the player with wings.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Item and minion sprites updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Now has an increased 1% / 1.43% chance to drop from Pinky and 0.013% / 0.018% from Sand Slime.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Fixed a bug where the minion buff did not disappear upon leaving a world.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Updated drop chances to match Desktop 184.108.40.206. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Updated drop chances to match Desktop 220.127.116.11. ()
- Console 1.07: Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 18.104.22.168.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Updated drop chances to match Desktop 126.96.36.199.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.