|Knockback||2 (Very weak)|
|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||'Strike with the fury of the sun'|
- Solar Eruption
- Solar Explosion
The Solar Eruption is a Hardmode autoswinging melee weapon which fires a long, spear-like projection from the player's position that quickly retracts. The tip follows a narrow arc in the general direction of the cursor before retracting. The Solar Eruption can travel through blocks and inflicts the Daybroken debuff upon hitting an enemy, which deals ticks of 25 damage per quarter-second for 5 seconds.
Its best modifier is Godly or Demonic. Both modifiers increase the average damage output by the same amount.
- The Solar Eruption generates an explosion on the first few enemies it pierces. This explosion then applies the debuff to all nearby NPCs with the exception of friendly ones.
- The reach of the Solar Eruption does not include the head of the weapon, it only includes the spiked shaft.
- When the player is standing still or moving at a slow pace, the Solar Eruption will typically hit each target caught by it at least 5 times.
- The Solar Eruption does not benefit in any way from Melee Speed bonuses.
- Killing an enemy that spawns smaller enemies, such as a Mother Slime, will not cause the Daybroken debuff to stay active on newly spawned enemies.
- The Solar Eruption is effective for large groups of enemies such as during events, as it pierces through and deals damage to all of them.
- However, it can be poor for single targets, especially at long range.
- The Solar Eruption is exceptionally useful for fighting the Moon Lord, as he is unable to hit the player through walls with most of his attacks. This means the Moon Lord can be damaged through walls from relative safety. On Desktop version and Mobile version, the Phantasmal Deathray, the Moon Lord's most powerful attack, can pass through blocks, making this tactic less effective.
- Due to the long reach and small sweep of the Solar Eruption, it can be used to cut down plants with ease.
- The Solar Eruption is a very useful tool for finding items in dark areas, due to it being able to quickly illuminate areas through blocks.
- This item can kill The Destroyer in seconds due to multiple segments of the weapon hitting multiple segments of The Destroyer multiple times.
- This Item is good against Plantera, as its block-piercing ability will offer an advantage in the tight spaces of the Underground Jungle.
- The debuff tooltip misspells "Incinerated" as "Incenerated".
- A "solar eruption" is another name for a solar flare.
- The Solar Eruption was likely inspired by Solar prominences, where large, twisting, looping, and arcing plasma emissions are ejected from the surface of the Sun into space.
- The Solar Eruption is regarded as one of the best overall weapons in the game due to its high damage, debuff, and its block-ignoring effect.
- The Solar Eruption during its attack animation is referred to as "Solar Whip Sword" internally, implying that this weapon may have been meant as the sword-type item for the set of equipment crafted from Lunar Fragments.
- Only the first target pierced by the Solar Eruption has an explosion animated on them even though all targets will explode.
- The Daybroken debuff that the Solar Eruption and the Daybreak inflict does not have its own debuff symbol as it currently cannot be inflicted on players. It uses the Stardust Dragon buff icon as an internal placeholder.
- The shaft of the weapon has a total of 18 pairs of spikes.
- The projectile ID name in the game refers to the Solar Eruption as "SolarWhipSword".
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Reduced sound volume.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Lowered the volume of the use sound.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed a stray pixel in the sprite.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Fixed Daybroken debuff spreading to friendly NPCs, killing them.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Introduced.