|Set Bonus||Solar shields charge over time to protect you & let you dash|
A charge is used to damage enemies you touch
Consumed charges explode & damage enemies
|Buff tooltip||Damage taken reduced by 30%, repel enemies when taking damage|
- Internal Buff ID: 170–172
Solar Flare armor is a post-Moon Lord set of armor that provides melee weapon boosts. It is currently the final melee set available on the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, Nintendo Switch version, and tModLoader version. This armor set also provides the most base defense. Crafting it requires a total of 36 Luminite Bars (144 Luminite) and 45 Solar Fragments.
A full set of the Solar Flare armor will provide the following benefits:
- +26% / +17% melee critical hit chance
- +29% / +22% melee damage
- +15% melee speed
- +15% movement speed
- Increased life regeneration (+3 HP/sec)
- +900 aggro
Equipping the full set additionally provides a special set bonus that builds the longer the player avoids damage, up to 3 "charges" (similar to Beetle armor). Each takes 3 / 5 seconds to build. The charges provide a fixed damage reduction of 20% / 30% regardless of the number of charges. The number of charges built is indicated by a shield that appears after the first charge, with two and three spikes appearing on the shield on the second and third charges, respectively.
Taking damage causes one charge to deplete, and discharges fire explosions around the player that can damage enemies in the vicinity. A charge can also be discharged manually by using the shield's special "dash" attack, activated by double-tapping ◀ Left or ▶ Right. Dashing only consumes a charge if it strikes an enemy, and upon doing so causes a similar explosion. Regardless of depleted charges, a player can only dash once per second.
The set bonus also grants 12% base damage reduction, which stacks multiplicatively with the damage reduction from the shield.
Each piece equipped (even if hidden by vanity items) causes the player to emit light, with a higher light level for each additional piece equipped. Additionally, equipping the full set displays both an after-image motion effect and a pulsating effect, similar to Hallowed armor.
total: 3 row(s)
- The fire explosions are affected by melee bonuses and can critically hit.
- The dash does not give you invincibility frames if the dash does not kill the enemy or if you contact a projectile.
- Taking fall damage also triggers the explosion discharge, depleting one shield charge.
- Holding the Psycho Knife will increase the damage of the dash.
- The dash causes the player to move at 52 mph.
- The dash effect of the armor overrides the dash effect of the Tabi, Master Ninja Gear, and Shield of Cthulhu accessories.
- The Endurance Potion, Frozen Turtle Shell, and Worm Scarf's damage reduction can stack with this armor.
- The Solar Blaze buff tooltip still displays "Damage taken reduced by 30%" even though the actual effect is 20%.
- The set bonus still says "consume the shield power to dash", although, as of 184.108.40.206, the dash no longer consumes it if not hitting an enemy.
- All armors made from Luminite have no sell value.
- The shield can be dyed using the chest dye slot.
- Like all armors made from Luminite, equipping Solar Flare armor makes the player emit light, in this case, red. Light radius increases with the number of pieces equipped.
- The Beetle armor with the Beetle Scale Mail and full Beetle Might has over twice the offensive benefits of the Solar Flare armor (+44% melee damage and +42% melee speed for Beetle compared to merely +22% melee damage and +15% melee speed for Solar Flare armor). In terms of defense, Solar Flare armor provides slightly more defense than Beetle armor with the Beetle Shell, but provides 15% less damage reduction and has an activation cooldown of 5 seconds rather than 3. Solar Flare armor always reduces damage taken by 30%, whereas Beetle armor has a maximum damage reduction of 45%.
- Due to this, the Dungeon Guardian deals 30 more damage to players with Solar Flare armor, given they have the Endurance buff active. With the buff and Beetle armor with Shell, the Dungeon Guardian deals 495 damage.
- Since the 12% damage reduction from the set bonus stacks additively with some other buffs, the total damage reduction of Solar Flare armor gets less inferior in comparison to Beetle armor as more of these buffs are applied. With Endurance, Ice Barrier, and the Worm Scarf, Beetle armor offers at most 73.6% damage reduction, and Solar Flare, 71.2%, which is only 2.4 percentage points (or 9.09% actual damage reduction) less.
- The shield acts somewhat like the Shield of Cthulhu, but does more damage, dashes further and does not knock the player backward on hit.
- Solar Flare armor essentially combines the effects of Turtle armor (damage reflection), Beetle armor (damage reduction), and the Shield of Cthulhu (dash).
- On the Old-gen console version and Nintendo version, wearing Beetle armor with the Beetle Shell provides the most defense, at 73. The Solar Flare armor, which is not available on those versions, exceeds this by 5 defense points.
- A solar flare is a sudden increase of brightness on the Sun. More powerful flares are then followed by a coronal mass ejection, which is a significant release of plasma from the Sun's surface.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Each armor piece now provides 1 HP/s of health regeneration.
- The helmet set now provides +26% critical strike chance instead of +17%, and the chestplate provides +29% melee damage instead of +22%.
- Instead of 30% damage reduction when charges are active, the armor now have 12% damage reduction at all times, and 20% additional damage reduction while charges are active.
- Recharge time between shield charges reduced by 2 seconds.
- Changed tooltip of the set bonus from "Solar shields generate over time protecting you, \ consume the shield power to dash, damaging enemies" to "Solar shields charge over time to protect you & let you dash \ A charge is used to damage enemies you touch \ Consumed charges explode & damage enemies"
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Dash ability now only consumes flares when it hits an enemy, and any hit enemy will result in a "Solar Radiance" explosion.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed Solar shields drawing even when you're dead.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced.