Souls are Hardmode crafting materials dropped by enemies. There are a total of 6 / 7 types of souls. The most common ones are the Souls of Light and Night, which are dropped in the Underground Hallow and Underground Corruption/Crimson, respectively. Most of the remaining souls drop from the mechanical bosses.
|Soul of Flight
Internal Item ID: 575
|Enemy||Wyvern, Arch Wyvern||'The essence of powerful flying creatures'||2|
|Soul of Light
Internal Item ID: 520
|Biome||Underground Hallow enemies
||'The essence of light creatures'||2|
|Soul of Night
Internal Item ID: 521
|Biome||Underground Corruption or Underground Crimson enemies
||'The essence of dark creatures'||2|
|Soul of Might
Internal Item ID: 548
|Boss||The Destroyer, Lepus||'The essence of the destroyer'||80|
|Soul of Sight
Internal Item ID: 549
|Boss||The Twins||'The essence of omniscient watchers'||80|
|Soul of Fright
Internal Item ID: 547
|Boss||Skeletron Prime||'The essence of pure terror'||80|
|Soul of Blight
Internal Item ID: 5017
|Boss||Ocram||The essence of infected creatures||2|
- For the Souls of Light and Night, note that only the biome (cavern layer Underground Corruption/Crimson or Hallow) determines what soul will be dropped, not the enemy. For instance, an Illuminant Bat in the Underground Corruption will drop Souls of Night, and a Corruptor in the Underground Hallow will drop Souls of Light. All enemies, including enemies that already spawned during pre-Hardmode, can drop Souls of Night or Souls of Light if in the appropriate biome. The only exceptions are enemies spawned by a statue and the King Slime's and Queen Slime's minions.
- Unlike most other enemy drops, souls are not affected by gravity (except the Souls of Blight), and thus remain floating in midair at the location where the enemy was killed. For large enemies and bosses, this is usually the enemy's head, regardless of where the final strike occurred.
- An easy way to obtain Souls of Night and Light is to go to the Dungeon and spray Red/Purple/Blue Solution with the Clentaminator at different areas, converting the area into the respective biome. Because of the Dungeon's high spawn rate, it is possible to get a large amount of souls fairly quickly.
- Another very effective way to farm Souls of Night and Light is to craft a Slime Crown and summon King Slime in the appropriate underground biome. Each fight often yields over 20 souls from all of the slimes that are spawned.
- All of the souls' names rhyme with each other (-ight).
- Souls of Blight are the only souls without an animation. This is because they are unavailable on 1.3, the update which introduced animated soul sprites.
- There is only one soul whose tooltip directly states the name of the enemy it is dropped from, the Soul of Might.
- It is also the only soul that is obtainable pre-Hardmode.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Slimes summoned by King Slime no longer drop Souls of Night nor Souls of Light in their specific biomes.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Updated the sprites of all souls.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Souls now sell for less.
- Desktop 1.2: Increased the drop rate of souls.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.