The World Spawn Point is where players appear in a newly created world or when joining a multiplayer server. The world's spawn point will be on a surface within five blocks of the horizontal middle of the world. It will almost always be located in the Forest biome as more hazardous biomes cannot appear at the world's center.
A player's Spawn Point is initially the world spawn point, but can be changed by crafting a Bed, placing it in a house and pressing the ⚷ Open / Activate button on it. The spawn point is where players respawn after dying, and where a Magic/Ice Mirror or Recall Potion will teleport them. Once the house the Bed is in is broken or ⚷ Open / Activate is pressed on the Bed a second time, the player's spawn point reverts back to the world's initial spawn point.
The world's spawn point is marked by a green arrow icon on the minimap, and the player's spawn point is marked by a bed icon.
- Upon spawning, respawning, or teleporting (either by dying or using an item), any blocks at the world spawn point (including all liquids and platforms) are broken so the player can spawn correctly. Filled storage items and their supporting tiles will not be destroyed, causing the player to instead spawn inside tiles in this case.
- The player will spawn in the nearest suitable location that is within 30 tiles directly above the spawn point if it is obstructed. If there is no such location, however, the player will spawn at the cleared spawn point as well.
- It might be useful to build a shelter over the world spawn point so that the player is provided a minimum of safety if they happen to respawn at the world spawn point, like when the set spawn point is inadvertently reverted back to the initial world spawn point. Similarly, it should be avoided to dig directly underneath the world spawn point, as players respawning there will inevitably fall down.
- It is possible, albeit extremely rare, for the player to spawn on a Floating Island. In this case, it is highly advisable to use the available blocks to create a staircase to the ground. If there happens to be a Lucky Horseshoe or Fledgling Wings in the Skyware Chest, then equipping that item allows jumping down without taking fall damage. Alternatively, one could also generate a new world.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Added an icon for the world spawn point on the minimap.
- Players can now spawn up to 30 tiles above their spawn point if the location is covered by blocks, rather than destroying those blocks.
- Since the Snow biome now generally generates further away from spawn, it is now significantly less likely to spawn in one.
- Desktop 1.2.4: It is now much more likely that the player will spawn on a flat clean surface when creating a new world.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: If a Bed is placed somewhere that would cause the player not to spawn without breaking through blocks, they will now get a message when trying to set the spawn point letting them know the Bed is not in a suitable position.
- Desktop 1.0.1: Spawning no longer destroys chests that are placed on ground that is removed due to spawn point clearing.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.