Do you know why we all carry around these spiked balls? Because I don't.
Spiky Balls are consumable ranged weapons that are primarily used as passive traps, by tossing them to the ground, where enemies who pass over them will take damage up to 6 times (after which the Spiky Balls vanish). If not destroyed, they will automatically vanish after 1 minute. They can also be directly thrown at enemies, but they have a very short arc and quickly fall to the ground. Spiky Balls are dropped by all goblins in the Goblin Army, and can be purchased from the Goblin Tinkerer for 80 each.
The Goblin Tinkerer uses Spiky Balls to defend himself against nearby enemies.
- Spiky Balls will not harm the player who threw them, nor will they damage NPCs. They will, however, damage other players in PvP.
- Once thrown, a Spiky Ball cannot be picked up again.
- Spiky Balls will not fall through platforms.
- Spiky Balls are useful against groups of enemies or bosses (e.g. the Eater of Worlds or King Slime), especially because they can be set up in advance.
- When wearing Frost armor, Spiky Balls will glow from the Frostburn effect and can serve as makeshift Glowsticks.
- When thrown on the ground, they can serve as an immobilizer to any enemy that does not have knockback resistance.
- As Spiky Balls are a very common drop during the Goblin Army event, with each Spiky Ball selling for 16, they are a decent money source early on.
- Spiky Ball Trap, a trap that fires larger, bouncy versions of Spiky Balls.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Weapon type changed from Throwing to Ranged.
- Item and projectile sprites updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Weapon type changed from Ranged to Throwing.
- Desktop 1.2: Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- Desktop 1.1: Sell value increased from 4 to 16. Can now be purchased from the Goblin Tinkerer.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Damage increased from 12 to 15.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.