|Damage||125 / 45 (Magic)|
|Knockback||7.5 (Very strong)|
|Mana||18 / 15 / 17|
|Critical chance||24% / 4%|
|Use time||24 (Fast) /|
40 (Very slow)
|Tooltip||Summons a powerful boulder|
The Staff of Earth is a Hardmode, post-Golem magic weapon which has a
14.29*1/7 (14.29%) / 12.5*1/8 (12.5%) chance to be dropped by Golem. When used, it launches a Jungle Temple-style boulder that is affected by gravity, bounces off of tiles and rolls on the floor, and can pierce enemies five times before breaking upon the sixth hit. It continues damaging enemies on contact while it rolls on the ground. The boulder's base damage and knockback depend on its velocity (see details below).
Its best modifier is Mythical.
- The base damage and knockback of the boulder vary based on its velocity (in any direction).
Velocity Damage Knockback < 8 mph 0 0 (No knockback) 8 mph–18 mph 62 3.75 (Weak) > 18 mph 125 7.5 (Very strong)
- On the Console version, Old-gen console version, and version, the knockback is always the same, regardless of velocity. The base damage instead depends directly on the velocity; the formula is as follows:
- which is roughly equivalent to
- with / .
- The base damage can never go below 9 / 5.
- The following table lists some exemplary values:
Velocity Damage 8 mph 14 / 9 18 mph 32 / 19 41 mph 73 / 45 82 mph 146 / 90
- Boulders can be cast through one-block walls when standing directly adjacent to them.
- One way to achieve top velocity for maximum damage is to fire boulders from above, downward.
- The boulder's high damage and piercing, along with its ability to roll on the ground, makes it extremely effective when deployed as ground-based crowd control.
- The quick use time also makes it a viable weapon for inflicting high single-target damage, although the Heat Ray is a much better weapon for this purpose.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Item and projectile sprites updated.
- Drop rate increased from
12.5*1/8 (12.5%) to 14.29*1/7 (14.29%), due to the Picksaw now drop separately.
- Now lists "max speed" damage rather than "low speed" damage.
- Now only has two velocity thresholds that affect damage (and now additionally knockback) instead of direct dependency.
- Increased critical chance from 4% to 24%.
- Mana cost increased from 15 to 18.
- Use time decreased from 40 to 24.
- Projectile speed greatly increased.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Increased damage from 45 to 73.
- Reduced mana cost from 17 to 15.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Fixed bug where Staff of Earth's boulders would sink through tiles if they're in water.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.