|Knockback||7.5 (Very strong)|
|Use time||30 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Summons a sentry|
Summons a powerful frost hydra to spit ice at your enemies
- Frost Hydra
The Staff of the Frost Hydra is a Hardmode post-Plantera sentry summon weapon. It can summon the Frost Hydra sentry, which lasts for 2 minutes, remains stationary, and does not count against the player's minion capacity. The Staff of the Frost Hydra is always found in the Ice Chest within the Dungeon, which must be unlocked with its corresponding Frozen Key.
The Frost Hydra will fire ice pellets at enemies within 60 tiles. It will automatically angle its head up and down, and turn left and right, to target enemies in any direction. On Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Nintendo Switch version, its projectiles can pierce twice, hitting up to 3 enemies, and applying a 15% damage penalty to the next hit for each enemy a projectile pierces. On the Old-gen console version, Nintendo version, and tModLoader version, its projectiles cannot pierce.
The Frost Hydra can be summoned anywhere on the visible screen, even if blocks completely separate the player from the point clicked. It cannot, however, be summoned in the air, and will instead appear on the closest block or platform below the summoning point.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Staff of the Frost Hydra has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- The Frost Hydra does no contact damage to enemies. However, if a player contacts it in PvP, it will deal full damage and disappear.
- Once cast, the player can switch to another weapon and the Hydra will remain and still do damage.
- The Frost Hydra provides a large burst of light on its initial appearance. Its projectile also produces moderate light.
- The Hydra can be summoned within solid blocks, which can be used to find ores and caves.
- The Frost Hydra inflicts summon damage, so it will only benefit from minion damage bonuses. However, certain magic bonuses will affect the Staff's initial summoning (e.g. decreased mana use).
- The Frost Hydra remains even if the player dies.
- The high damage, versatile remote placement capability and lighting effect makes this Staff a valuable auxiliary weapon.
- The remote capabilities of the Frost Hydra make it useful for battles and invasions, since it can be placed and left alone to slay enemies while the player does other things, such as making purchases, hiding, or fighting enemies in a different location.
- The Frost Hydra will fall when blocks below it are removed, making it useful for guarding the player while digging vertical tunnels.
- The Frost Hydra can be extremely strong in PvP, as it is possible to summon it on a player and deal damage instantly.
- The Frost Hydra can also be useful in exploring caves as it can be summoned inside blocks and emits light.
- Despite being named after the Lernaean Hydra in Greek mythology, the Frost Hydra sentry only has one head.
- The Frost Hydra measures approximately 4 tiles wide by 3 high and is semi-transparent.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Projectile now pierces twice, hitting up to 3 enemies.
- Applies a 15% damage penalty to the next hit for each enemy a projectile pierces.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Can now be summoned on platforms.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Now requires 20 mana to summon.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.