|Uses ammo||Fallen Star|
|Damage||55 / 62 (Ranged)|
|Knockback||0 (No knockback)|
|Use time||12 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Shoots fallen stars|
- Falling Star
The Star Cannon is a ranged weapon that fires Fallen Stars in a straight line. The projectiles are not affected by gravity, pierce an unlimited number of enemies, and dissipate into light-emitting particles after one minute or upon impacting a solid block.
Its best modifier is Demonic, as it does does not have any knockback and thus cannot get modifiers that affect it. It can also get the Deadly modifier, which, while the Demonic modifier may provide the greatest damage per hit, grants a higher increase to the overall DPS.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The maximum range of a fired Fallen Star is 3150 tiles, given its velocity of 14 (52.5 tiles/second or 72 mph) and maximum lifespan of 60 seconds.
- The Star Cannon does 54 / 61 damage, as fired Fallen Stars have a damage value of -1.
- While the Star Cannon can fire up through platforms, it counts the top of platforms as solid and thus cannot be shot down through them. This trait makes it suboptimal for fighting in a standard arena that consists of rows of platforms.
- The Star Cannon can be fired through two-block wide walls, provided the player is positioned no farther than one tile away.
- Even though it has built-in critical strike chance and shows critical strike chance modifier bonuses, it is incapable of landing critical hits.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A skybridge can be used to farm Fallen Stars efficiently.
- The Star Cannon can do tremendous amounts of damage and is by far the best pre-Hardmode ranged weapon in terms of DPS. It is still useful well into Hardmode, providing slightly more DPS than the Clockwork Assault Rifle while piercing an infinite number of enemies. However, the comparative availability of ammunition causes the Clockwork Assault Rifle to be more useful all-around.
- Since the Star Cannon cannot deal critical hits, the best pre-mechanical boss set for this weapon consists of the Frost Helmet, Adamantite Breastplate, and Necro Greaves.
- The infinite piercing of the star projectiles proves useful against segmented enemies like Wyverns and the Destroyer (especially if lined up to hit all segments), as well as bosses like the Wall of Flesh (piercing through the Hungry and damaging the main boss).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Clockwork Assault Rifle, Star Cannon, Flintlock Pistol, and the Minishark are some of the only guns with no base knockback. Because most types of ammo have non-zero knockback, the Star Cannon is the only ranged weapon that truly has no knockback at all.
- The Super Star Shooter is a direct upgrade of the Star Cannon.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.2:
- Fixed an issue where Star Cannon's projectile could not land critical hits, and wouldn't always receive proper stat bonuses from player equipment.
- Fixed an issue where Star Cannon's projectile could not be fired through platforms.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Damage decreased from 62 to 55.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Damage increased from 55 to 62.
- Fixed bug where boosting Star Cannon's damage to over 100 would cause fired stars to drop during night.
- Desktop 1.1.1:
- Speed slightly decreased but still Very Fast.
- Damage reduced further from 60 to 55.
- Desktop 1.1: Speed increased to Very Fast.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Damage reduced from 75 to 60.
- Rate of fire drastically reduced to Very Slow.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.