Strange Plants are quest plant items that can be turned in to the Dye Trader, who rewards the player with 1 out of 33 special dyes, all but two of which are quest-exclusive (the player receives a quantity of 3 of the randomly chosen dye type).
Strange Plants are found at any altitude, and can grow in any biome and in the Overworld, though this follows certain factors (see below). In the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Switch version, Strange Plants will only spawn in Hardmode, and can be detected by the Metal Detector.
Acquiring a Strange Plant before the Dye Trader has moved in will fulfill one of his spawning requirements, the other being acquiring a dye-crafting item. Keeping both in the player's inventory and having a suitable vacant house will allow the Dye Trader to spawn during a subsequent morning.
- Strange Plants can only grow under certain circumstances:
- Like all other dye plants, Strange Plants will be highlighted while under the effects of a Spelunker Potion.
- Despite each plant appearing to reach 3×3 tiles, they technically occupy only one tile and appear on the map as such. They can only be harvested by mining their bottom-center tile (the only one that is actually occupied).
- In Journey Mode they need to be researched separately.
- Strange Plants will spawn in worlds created before 1.3, though it might take some time until any grow.
- Multiple Strange Plants can be turned in simultaneously without forfeiting rewards.
- Strange Plants cannot be placed in Clay Pots.
- Despite Strange Plants looking like they may be biome-specific, they are not restricted by appearance and any variety can be found where they may spawn.
- Since Strange Plants can grow on bare, grassless dirt, a simple farm can be made to collect them. An empty long, flat platform above the ground can be an effective method of spawning them.
- An easy way to find Strange Plants is to go across the surface with the Spelunker Potion effect, as Strange Plants will be highlighted.
- Strange Plants can spawn on Floating Islands. Since those may be rarely visited, touring them can often yield several.
- Selling the dyes granted as rewards for turning in the Strange Plant is more profitable than selling the plant itself. A single Strange Plants sells for 20 while the quest-exclusive dyes can be sold for 75 each, at minimum.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Introduced.