|Knockback||2 (Very weak)|
|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons sharknados to fight for you|
- Mini Sharkron
The Tempest Staff is a Hardmode summon weapon. It spawns a small Sharknado minion that follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, and attacks enemies automatically by firing Mini Sharkron projectiles which splatter against enemies and blocks. Its attack is akin to a miniature version of Duke Fishron's tornado/shark attack. The Tempest Staff has a 20% chance of being dropped by Duke Fishron.
The Tempest Staff's tornado moves to intercept enemies at significant range, and can pass through blocks. The tornado itself also damages enemies on contact.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Tempest Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- Even though the sharks deal a lot of damage, they are not very accurate due to slightly arcing mid-flight. They sometimes fail at hitting quick enemies. Despite this flaw, the Sharknado itself is non-solid (can pass through all blocks) and attack enemies outside of the player's sight.
- As the tornado itself deals damage to critters, take care when using the staff while catching them.
- The Guide to Critter Companionship will prevent this.
- They are somewhat useless in small areas because they hover over the player's head. Consider using the Spider Staff or Blade Staff for these areas.
- This weapon is a reference to the 2013 American sci-fi disaster film Sharknado, which features a tornado filled with sharks.
- Summoned Sharknadoes will turn translucent when passing through blocks, similarly to what Duke Fishron and Pigrons do.
- The Tempest Staff has the second highest base damage of all summoning weapons, beaten only by the Staff of the Frost Hydra.
- The Tempest Staff displays an odd tooltip on the Old-gen console version: 1 minute duration. This is a bug, and the Sharknadoes will follow the player indefinitely.
- It is the only weapon dropped by Duke Fishron that does not have his color scheme.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Reduced fire rate cooldown from 60 to 50.
- Increased Sharkron projectile speed from 14 to 20.
- Tempest movement speed increased by 50% (they chase enemies faster).
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Now requires 10 mana.
- Sell price increased from 1 to 5
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.1372.5: Removed "1 minute duration" text.
- Console 1.07: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 220.127.116.11.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 18.104.22.168.