|Knockback||7.25 (Very strong)|
|Use time||23 (Fast)|
|Tool speed||7 / 6|
- Internal Item ID: 1305
The Axe is a Hardmode, post-Plantera hamaxe, a combination of a hammer and an axe. It produces an overdriven electric guitar sound when swung, which changes in tone depending on the distance from the cursor to the player. The Axe has a
2*1/50 (2%) chance of being dropped by Plantera on the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, Switch version, and tModLoader version, and a 0.5*1/200 (0.5%) chance on the Old-gen console version and version.
- The Axe is capable of breaking Demon and Crimson Altars.
- In PvP, it seems to be able to hit a player twice in one swing.
- While autoswinging, the player will be unable to change direction.
- It has the highest axe power of any item in the game (175%), even surpassing that of the Luminite Hamaxes (all 150%). It also has 12 more base damage, but its range is shorter by 3 tiles.
- Despite the lower axe power, the Luminite Hamaxes are recommended for building as they have a higher tile reach than The Axe.
- Modifier prefixes are added in front of the "The" in its name, which can result in a grammatically incorrect name such as "Keen The Axe". It shares this trait with all other items that can obtain modifiers and whose names begin with "The". This error is not present in the Old-gen console version.
- The Axe closely resembles a "Flying V" guitar model.
- The Axe was added as a tribute to Dimebag Darrell, guitarist and member of the American heavy metal band Pantera, which Cenx has stated is her favorite band. Fittingly, Plantera, the enemy referencing Pantera, drops it.
- Its name and sprite refer to electric guitars being nicknamed "axes" in rock and heavy metal music culture. Its dual role as a hammer comes from how some classic "hard rockers" would famously smash their guitars on stage as part of their acts.
- The Axe is one of the three musical weapons in the game, the others being the Magical Harp and the Stellar Tune.
- Unlike similar items such as the Rain Song, Ivy, or the Stellar Tune, it cannot be strummed.
- In 1.4, the Axe's notes increase as the cursor is moved further out. The farther, the higher the note when swung. Prior to this, The Axe would play notes randomly.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Drop rate increased from 1/200 to 1/50.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.