FANDOM


  • I wanted to get some opinions on the set of pages we currently have, and discuss what we should do with them. The pages relevant to this discussion are:

    It appears that there are only 3 minion pages, which presents an inconsistency with the rest of the staves that also summon minions. What I am suggesting is to delete these pages, and include minion information for every minion summoning weapon on their respective pages. Each page could have the infobox for the weapon as well as an infobox for the minion, and the main body of the article could include minion info in addition to weapon info. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.


    (Appended by The Pathogen to allow users to see a graphical display of votes for various courses of action.)

    What is your opinion on this idea?
     
    5
     
    8
     
    1
     
    5
     
    2
     
    0
     

    The poll was created at 10:19 on October 11, 2015, and so far 21 people voted.
      Loading editor
    • Good idea squaz it is very annoying when there is missing pages especially for pc players or they won't know about their minions I agree someone should add more minion pages

        Loading editor
    • And now that I completely read your comment I highly disagree with you how else would we see the minion of sed staff this is not a partial information wiki including pictures ur someone might not like a minion after they get it making them work for nothing

        Loading editor
    • Squazzil
      Squazzil removed this reply because:
      fixed typo and removed unneeded addtional comment.
      01:41, October 9, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • Theraincoatwarrior wrote:
      And now that I completely read your comment I highly disagree with you how else would we see the minion of sed staff this is not a partial information wiki including pictures ur someone might not like a minion after they get it making them work for nothing

      What I am suggesting is to put the information of the minion on the page that summons it. For example, the Raven minion information would be placed on the Raven Staff page. It is my hopes that the new pages will be even more informative, showing pictures of the minions, and removing the seperate minion pages as these are fairly small pages and could be combined with the summoning staves. 

        Loading editor
    • maybe i wil help

        Loading editor
    • But you see by doing that how would they get a dependable image of the staff itself like if they wanna see a raven staff but don't wanna kill the pumping and plus minions are considered mobs and removing them from the wiki as of pages wouldn't work such as brain suckler wiki with the celestial pillar wiki get what I'm saying?

        Loading editor
    • Take into example the pirate staff it has very limited info and uses your method if we. Had a page for people who want know trivia about the pirate but not the staff why'd you have one page

        Loading editor
    • Squazzil wrote: I wanted to get some opinions on the set of pages we currently have, and discuss what we should do with them. The pages relevant to this discussion are:

      It appears that there are only 3 minion pages, which presents an inconsistency with the rest of the staves that also summon minions. What I am suggesting is to delete these pages, and include minion information for every minion summoning weapon on their respective pages. Each page could have the infobox for the weapon as well as an infobox for the minion, and the main body of the article could include minion info in addition to weapon info. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

      Separate them. They are all different minions summoned by different staffs.

        Loading editor
    • Richard2005 wrote: Separate them. They are all different minions summoned by different staffs.

      You seem to have misunderstood. The idea is that each individual minion is included on the relevant summoner's page (Such as including info on the Raven Minion on the Raven Staff page, Stardust Dragon info on the Stardust Dragon Staff page, etc.), not that all minions are collectively placed on one page.

      I am of a mind with Squazzil, to be entirely honest. According to the game code minions are not classified as monsters, but as projectiles. This invalidates the argument that Theraincoatwarrior made here.


      Let me clarify my argument a little here. While each minion may have its own lore, story or related material, it is only relevant because of the staff that summons it. The Stardust Dragon cannot normally exist in the game without the use of the Stardust Dragon Staff. The Twins (minions) cannot exist in the game without use of the Optic Staff. Each minion is a projectile individually spawned by the use of their respective staves, they are not recognized by the game as monsters of any kind.
      I do want to see information about each respective minion, however I do not see any reason that they should have their own pages when all of their respective information can be included completely and succinctly on the same page as their summoners.
      I am completely open to the idea of modifying our current infoboxes to more easily display information about minions, or even possibly the idea of implementing an infobox-style template to help display the minion itself and any stats it may have. (This is primarily referring to abilities that certain minions have, such as the Stardust Dragon being able to pass through blocks in the same manner as worm-type enemies.)
        Loading editor
    • The Pathogen wrote: You seem to have misunderstood. The idea is that each individual minion is included on the relevant summoner's page (Such as including info on the Raven Minion on the Raven Staff page, Stardust Dragon info on the Stardust Dragon Staff page, etc.), not that all minions are collectively placed on one page.

      I am of a mind with Squazzil, to be entirely honest. According to the game code minions are not classified as monsters, but as projectiles. This invalidates the argument that Theraincoatwarrior made here.


      Let me clarify my argument a little here. While each minion may have its own lore, story or related material, it is only relevant because of the staff that summons it. The Stardust Dragon cannot normally exist in the game without the use of the Stardust Dragon Staff. The Twins (minions) cannot exist in the game without use of the Optic Staff. Each minion is a projectile individually spawned by the use of their respective staves, they are not recognized by the game as monsters of any kind.
      I do want to see information about each respective minion, however I do not see any reason that they should have their own pages when all of their respective information can be included completely and succinctly on the same page as their summoners.
      I am completely open to the idea of modifying our current infoboxes to more easily display information about minions, or even possibly the idea of implementing an infobox-style template to help display the minion itself and any stats it may have. (This is primarily referring to abilities that certain minions have, such as the Stardust Dragon being able to pass through blocks in the same manner as worm-type enemies.)

      Oh.

      I thought he was talking about seperating all the staffs or not.

      Neeevermind.

        Loading editor
    • I agree, it would be better than spending time creating more pages and collecting resorces for said pages when you could just combine them. And it means the readers don't have to surf around the wiki.

        Loading editor
    • I'd like to add this page as a good example as to why I thought it would be more efficient to only have one page representing both the staff and minion. You will notice on this page there is some brief info on the staff itself, and then most of the article talks about the actual cell minion and its behaviours, damage etc. There is also an image of the summoned minion. So I have to wonder how making a separate page for the "Stardust Cell" will benefit the wiki. Would we then have to remove the minion info from the staff page to avoid repetition? Then we would have 2 quite small articles when we could just have one.

        Loading editor
    • Squazzil wrote:
      I'd like to add this page as a good example as to why I thought it would be more efficient to only have one page representing both the staff and minion. You will notice on this page there is some brief info on the staff itself, and then most of the article talks about the actual cell minion and its behaviours, damage etc. There is also an image of the summoned minion. So I have to wonder how making a separate page for the "Stardust Cell" will benefit the wiki. Would we then have to remove the minion info from the staff page to avoid repetition? Then we would have 2 quite small articles when we could just have one.

      It does sound like a pain. Honestly, I think it's better that if there is an item/mob/etc that has multiple relations, it's better to have them all in the same article. It negates the possibility of stub articles and useless wiki surfing. This has already applied to most other said items/mobs/etc, so why not with minions? That's my opinion, anyway. 

      also, side note; is it bad I keep thinking of Despicable Me's Minions when I see this thread? Imagine if there was a Gru starf, haha

        Loading editor
    • I still don't like the idea cause we could have to_scale minion pictures on the wiki at least for mobile and pc but basically what I'm saying is that we would also be said that we are lazy for not putting in time to make a better wiki such as armor pages they would be too long with all the pictures exact info lore and all the crafting receives like a biome page which no one except nerd read the whole thing and itdd look less professional with three less pages

        Loading editor
    • And if we were to have a lot of different minions like the pygmy minions how would they see all the different minions if they only saw a red one and got blue and yellow ones they made that get mad

        Loading editor
    • Squazzil wrote:
      I'd like to add this page as a good example as to why I thought it would be more efficient to only have one page representing both the staff and minion. You will notice on this page there is some brief info on the staff itself, and then most of the article talks about the actual cell minion and its behaviours, damage etc. There is also an image of the summoned minion. So I have to wonder how making a separate page for the "Stardust Cell" will benefit the wiki. Would we then have to remove the minion info from the staff page to avoid repetition? Then we would have 2 quite small articles when we could just have one.

      That page shows unreliability as instead of an animated picture by the staff they use a posted picture not everybody posts pictures on the wiki


        Loading editor
    • Theraincoatwarrior wrote: -snip-

      I find quite a few problems with your response here:

      • Labeling other users (in this case "nerds") will not help your argument in the slightest. You're on a website whose primary purpose is the sharing of relevant, correct information in the most easily accessible format.
      • While every page may not yet have an image that's been extracted directly from the game files, it's a possibility that depends solely on time and categorization. If you see a page that's missing an animated sprite where you think one could be used; add the page to a category that says that, e.g. Category:NeedsAnimatedSprite.
      • Not all minions have different skins when multiple can be summoned, that's just a case to be made for those minions that do have several skins. It should be common sense that we display as many canon variations as we can confirm. (Keep in mind, not everyone has the same play style - some people's style may cause them to bias against some weapons, not using them enough to note such additions as varying skins.)

      I would like to quote another thread, in that while Wikia has mobile versions of infoboxes, the mobile skin itself is poorly designed (not to mention that the mobile infoboxes have nowhere near the level of verbosity that we need to properly display the info in our existing infoboxes). Also, while the mobile version of said page will not display in the same manner as on a PC, my Android device has no trouble deciphering the infobox and having everything (at the very least) in the right places.

      In addition, having more pages does not make a wiki look "more professional". If the change you're stating were implemented, it would require users to have to take an extra step to get info they may have otherwise benefited from. In its nature, this allows for users to not notice links to said page, meaning they could miss the information entirely. It's not unheard of for page info to cover multiple entities (see Pigron), however each of these minions are dependent on their own summoners; without the staves, there is no minion. (This isn't to say that you can't summon a minion and then store the staff in a chest, that's another issue entirely.)

        Loading editor
    • Shouldn't be a problem to just have a small section about projectile AI just like we would say "the Flower of Frost's projectile bounces up to eight times and does not pierce." Plus images, if people so want.

        Loading editor
    • 652Graystripe wrote: Shouldn't be a problem to just have a small section about projectile AI just like we would say "the Flower of Frost's projectile bounces up to eight times and does not pierce." Plus images, if people so want.

      A very nice way to tl;dr it, Gray! TCF-tongue-emote.png

        Loading editor
    • Ok well the layout is just hard for my brain to wrap around and second in me saying someone is a nerd is the equivelent of someone saying `oh man he's such an expert' thus it was a complement and I mean if I'm the 1/1000 chance of not wanting the same page but I like being different

        Loading editor
    • Symbol support vote Support - Just read through the thread and I am in agreement with Squazzil.

      There is indeed an inconsistency here, and I think that organizing it the way that was presented in the original post seems efficient and well thought-out.

        Loading editor
    • If we were to delete them, I might help in adding information about the summoned creatures in the article of the item.

        Loading editor
    • Consider making the minion it own Infobox.

        Loading editor
    • Richard2005 wrote:
      Consider making the minion it own Infobox.

      This is part of my suggestion. Maybe I can come up with a visual example so it is easier to picture my idea for the pages.

        Loading editor
    • It should be on the page of the slime staff.

        Loading editor
    • No keep them

        Loading editor
    • Cooljesse37 wrote: No keep them

      Would you mind elaborating? Three words is hardly a considerable reply to the idea, let alone the fact that you're not specifying what "them" is.

        Loading editor
    • The Pathogen wrote:

      Cooljesse37 wrote: No keep them

      Would you mind elaborating? Three words is hardly a considerable reply to the idea, let alone the fact that you're not specifying what "them" is.

      I feel the same thing.

        Loading editor
    • I really like the idea to put the minions together on the page of the item that summons it. What i do would like to see is that the created minion pages would link back to the said sumoning item page. For example: if someone would search for the baby slime, it would be redirected to the slime staff page. This would make it easier for other users to quickly find what they are looking for, especially if they are used to look for the minion page instead.

        Loading editor
    • Martiaan wrote: I really like the idea to put the minions together on the page of the item that summons it. What i do would like to see is that the created minion pages would link back to the said sumoning item page. For example: if someone would search for the baby slime, it would be redirected to the slime staff page. This would make it easier for other users to quickly find what they are looking for, especially if they are used to look for the minion page instead.

      That's a very easy fix to implement once we sort what everyone thinks. It'd function as a redirect in the same manner as how Npc redirects to NPC.
        Loading editor
    • The Pathogen wrote:

      Martiaan wrote some stuff...

      That's a very easy fix to implement once we sort what everyone thinks. It'd function as a redirect in the same manner as how Npc redirects to NPC.

      I tought i'd be an easy step ^_^ (althrough i don't know how) but still an important one i think.

        Loading editor
    • Still we all have different opinions I just don't like the layout you are talking about it would gimme headaches I'm just so used to the normal layout maybe put the links in the page such as link it the first time it mentions the minion

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.