Turtle armor is a Hardmode armor set consisting of the Turtle Helmet, Turtle Scale Mail, and Turtle Leggings. A full set grants a vastly amplified Thorns effect, which reflects twice the full / full damage from melee attacks onto the attacking enemy.
The full set of armor also provides the following:
- 14% increased melee damage,
- 12% increased melee critical strike chance,
- +750 aggro, and
- 15% damage reduction.
Set[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Though it provides considerable defense, Turtle armor's bonuses to melee damage and critical strike chance are barely higher than those of Cobalt armor and Molten armor.
- The set's Thorns effect cannot be improved by the Thorns Potion buff nor the Dryad's Blessing buff.
- If one intends to craft both chest pieces of the Beetle armor, a total of 78 Chlorophyte Bars (468 Chlorophyte Ore) and 4 Turtle Shells are required to craft the whole Beetle armor set.
- If an enemy banner is in effect, the set's Thorns effect will be diminished as the enemy's attack is weaker. This may be detrimental with lower-level enemies, as the damage received will still be 1 damage, but the Thorns damage will be lower.
- The reflected damage is capped at 1000.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The passive Thorns effect usually allows players to ignore weak enemies that rely on contact damage, especially when combined with a shield for knockback immunity.
- However, the Thorns effect deals negligible damage compared to most Hardmode weapons, causing it to be relatively worthless for boss fights. The effect also does not activate when players are hit by lasers or other projectiles that bosses tend to use.
- Turtle armor works well as a support set for multiplayer since it draws aggro from enemies and bosses. It pairs well with the Paladin's Shield and both of its upgraded versions, increasing the survivability of the player's teammates as well as their own.
- Unlike the Helmet and Leggings, Turtle Scale Mail has relatively decent offensive stats. It can be combined with a Chlorophyte Mask or Hallowed Mask and Squire's Greaves for a much stronger offensive melee set, though it lacks the 15% damage reduction and Thorns effect of full Turtle armor.
- As of current versions, it is no longer possible to exploit this armor's Thorns effect to quickly defeat the Dungeon Guardian, as the Guardian's attack has been reduced to 1000 while its health remains at 9999 and the Thorns effect now deals 1 damage like all other attacks. Upgrading to Beetle armor, however, will allow the player to survive one hit while using a Lifeforce Potion and Endurance Potion.
- On the Desktop version, the Turtle armor can be seen as the Hardmode counterpart of the Cactus armor.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Set bonus now gives 15% Damage Reduction.
- Set bonus Thorns damage now does twice as much.
- Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now used to craft the Beetle armor set.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Female sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Reduced the Turtle Helmet's defense from 23 to 21, the Turtle Scale Mail's from 30 to 27, and the Turtle Leggings's from 18 to 17. The combined defense was thus reduced from 71 to 65.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.