- 1 Question
- 2 Removal Reason?
- 3 Music Tracks on biome, event and boss pages need separate sections
- 4 Duplicate Music Files
- 5 Problem with Bestiary Template on spiders and Sand Poacher pages
- 6 Any real reason for that revert on Bacon?
- 7 Changes to Guide to Critter Companionship
- 8 achievement edit undone
- 9 Camera mode biome filters images to be uploaded
- 10 Regarding outdated French Pages about Music and Music Boxes
- 11 Updating enemy banners page
- 12 About the edit I made
Hi Dinoxel, Thanks for helping me clean up some of my recent contributions and pointing me at some rules I'd missed! I've been noticing that a lot of content on the wiki seems to be automatically pulled from some data store or database. Does that data need to be manually updated, or does it come from data mining? I actually created an account to try to add the new Boomerang -> Enchanted Boomerang recipe to those pages when 1.4 launched, but looking on those pages, it's obvious that I would need to edit something else (and it's not clear that there will be any need to do so). Berggen (talk) 13:01, 15 May 2020 (UTC)
- Hi Berggen, no problem. And yes, almost all of the information on the wiki is now automatically gathered from various databases (that you can found here), which include recipes and information in infoboxes. So no, you won't have to manually edit each recipe section that changed, however once the new source code of the 1.4 will be added to the wiki by admins, because due to their importance these pages are protected, we will have to manually edit the expected total number of rows on every page. The list can be found here: Category:Recipes table with unexpected total number of rows. Dinoxel talk 13:19, 15 May 2020 (UTC)
Hello. I added the icons from Journey, Expert, and Master mode to their respective wiki pages, however you removed them. What was the reason for this? Thanks. Q.E.D. (talk) 05:18, 2 June 2020 (UTC)
- Hi! I decided to moved them out to mode templates (and resize them), so they will be used all over the wiki in the top banners and soon on infoboxes. Also, the pictures can take a lot of place on Mobile devices and "break" the layout. --Dinoxel talk 05:25, 2 June 2020 (UTC)
Music Tracks on biome, event and boss pages need separate sections
The music tracks on their biome and event pages are incorporated in the contents sections. I think it is best that we make a separate section on each of these pages, in addition to boss pages, similar to Minecraft Wiki. --Superwill771 (talk) 00:30, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- Hey, I think tracks could be written in the intro similar to how they are already on boss pages, however I don't think the Minecraft Wiki layout for sounds would suit well here. --Dinoxel talk 04:28, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- I very much liked how compactly the music information could be integrated into the page via the "Contents" infocard. The only information that is relevant on the biome page is what track is playing or what tracks are playing there, and the previous format was well fit for that. Album, version, or even description of a track have nothing to do with the biome anymore at all – the Music page exists for a reason, it is the proper place for that information (also, yet another case of introducing duplicate data... having two places where the information is displayed will inevitably lead to discrepancy and inconsistency, with one of them being outright wrong in the worst case). Furthermore, it is unnecessary to make an entire section if its text is the same for every page, on top of being, again, completely irrelevant to the biome (neither the mechanic of Otherworld music nor the existence of Music Boxes has anything to do with the biome).
- I am in favor of undoing these changes.
- Side note: Please don't use boldface on the page title in the middle of the article. As stated in the style guide, only its first mention, in the intro, is to be bolded ("No other instance of the page title should be bold.").
- --Rye Greenwood (talk) 01:24, 8 July 2020 (UTC)
- Exactly. It is always possible to add more information and more functions, but more often than not, that does not result in an improved experience for the majority of readers. With the original format, everybody who reads about a biome has the option to give its music a quick listen by clicking the little speaker icon, but is otherwise not irritated or distracted from the main article, since the information integrates so seamlessly with the "Contents" infocard. Readers who are interested in learning more about the track, or want to listen to specific parts of it repeatedly are taken to the Music page by a single click. Now with the current format, everybody who reads about a biome is forced to scroll through a section that takes up a considerable amount of space (especially on smaller screens) and contains information that has not much to do with the page's topic, has hardly any bearing on gameplay, and is most likely not what the reader visited the page for.
- I don't know how the Minecraft Wiki presents this kind of information and in what format or context, but I'm positive there are good reasons why the community there decided that their format is sensible for their use case.
- If there are no further objections, I will go ahead and restore the original format.
- --Rye Greenwood (talk) 02:37, 14 July 2020 (UTC)
Duplicate Music Files
- I will when I will be able to. I'm just a moderator at the moment. --Dinoxel talk 20:14, 5 July 2020 (UTC)
Problem with Bestiary Template on spiders and Sand Poacher pages
Any real reason for that revert on Bacon?
- Well, I read the two propositions for a couple of seconds before reverting and it seems that "easier" sounded better to me even while translating it in French. --Dinoxel talk 02:27, 16 July 2020 (UTC)
- Personally, I try not to revert minor changes like that unless they actually introduce an error, or the change is clearly inferior. Letting minor changes stand allows for a slow evolution which IMHO is often good for a wiki. If it looks like a page has instead decayed, then I'll rewrite and deal with whole passages at once. --MentalMouse42 (talk) 23:51, 16 July 2020 (UTC)
Changes to Guide to Critter Companionship
Hello, I see you reverted my change to the wiki with regards to the Guide to Critter Companionship NOT preventing you from dealing damage to explosive bunnies in the for the worthy seed. This is in fact the case, so I don't know why you reverted. If you want me to show you some proof I can add you on discord or something. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 at 13:31, 22 July 2020
- My apologies, I have reverted it unintentionally. From what I can see it's now back on the page, thanks for your contribution! --Dinoxel talk 11:17, 25 July 2020 (UTC)
achievement edit undone
Actually, those achievements are on the PS4. I know that because I have a PS4 and it has all of those achievements on it — Preceding unsigned comment added by Robophilip (talk • contribs) at 18:10, 6 August 2020 (UTC)
Camera mode biome filters images to be uploaded
- Hey, you can find the file here: File:Biome filter icons.png. --Dinoxel talk 17:26, 28 September 2020 (UTC)
- I have no clue either what is this runner icon for, I tried a few things but without result. I'll ask on Discord. --Dinoxel talk 13:19, 29 September 2020 (UTC)
Regarding outdated French Pages about Music and Music Boxes
Both Pages are outdated, as the Music page has no info about Otherworldy tracks and the final one. And the Music page lacks 1.4 tracks. Also, both pages has no history section. I know i'm unable to edit for three days, but I would like to bring attention on those pages (and the red links on them). --Superwill771 (talk) 16:41, 19 October 2020 (UTC)
- I blocked you because you wouldn't stop editing the pages related to the French 1.4 category although we told you to stop several times.
- Also, we are only 2 active native French members on the French wiki comparate to the English wiki so we cannot deal with all the problems at the same time. I'm already aware these pages are outdated because all French pages are but in my opinion, we have to focus into some more important pages before such as the Master and Journey modes... But thank you for pointing out these two pages.
- However, I really appreciate your help because we really lack contributors but not listening to our requests wasn't a smart move from you. I can unblock you if promess not to continue what we told you not to do.
- One last thing, if you would give a sign of existence after someone answered to one of the messages you asked to someone that would be great in order to know if you have read the said answer. Hence why we blocked you twice; you didn't answer any of the comments we left on your user page and profile, so that was our only solution to be sure you would have read it. --Dinoxel (talk) 00:44, 20 October 2020 (UTC)
The enemy banners page is grouped in a way that is inaccurate and out of date. I've been trying to turn it into a table in order to enable different groupings / sortings but people are reverting the entire changeset because they don't like it. While not perfect I still think the changes are an improvement over the current iteration, which currently only has the ability to group banners in one specific way. I saw that you've made some edits to the page so figured I'd seek your advice on how to update / improve it without people destroying a lot of work and effort.
As the current groupings are far from correct, I'd like to improve things so that at the very least people have options in how to group / sort them. I had initially tried to set up a cargo query to pull all banners but I don't want to make the changes if people are going to revert things because they don't like the change. I would hope people would want to make edits to improve things instead of reverting it all because it is "awfully formatted" or they have a strong stance on the current groupings which only work for a very specific mindset. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 at 04:11, 1 November 2020
- Hi, in my opinion, the page looks fine like it is already (except for the Slimes section that is a remnant from the past which I will quickly dispatch to other sub-sections).
- First of all, keep in mind what is the Banner page for; listing all banners. And banners aren't usual dropped items, such as gel, they only drop once enemies are killed for the 50th time (except on pre-188.8.131.52 versions). Thereby, players are more likely to look at where the enemy spawns on the aforesaid enemy page than on the Banners page hence why each banner links to their enemy pages.
- The current groupings aren't 100% accurate yes, I guess some sections could be divided into two such as the Desert one, or that some notes could be added for a few enemies that spawn at day/night or that need two biomes (like Pigrons) to spawn but I'm not even sure it would really be useful to have that kind of information on this page as it literally is a showcase of banners.
- Also we aren't against changing, but it's preferable to leave a recommendation on the talk page of the wished page, on the community noticeboard, or to come to the Wiki Discord where almost all active contributors are before editing the whole layout of a page. Keep in mind that the current one was already improved several times in order to meet a few problems encountered since the creation of the page.
- I can also suggest you create an account and edit your user page, where you can do whatever you want, with a new layout to submit for the Banners page. I really advise you to come to the Wiki Discord so we can all give our opinion and debate about it.
- I hope I was clear enough because English isn't my native tongue, although that does not affect my opinion. --Dinoxel (talk) 14:24, 1 November 2020 (UTC)
About the edit I made
I recently made an edit in the settings page, saying about how the translations for the game are horrible. I get that I could have worded that better, but you removed it and said that personal thoughts don't belong on the wiki. Those aren't my personal thoughts, I have played the game in my native language of Portuguese, and found people talking about other translations on the internet (https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/5lpw8m/the_terraria_spanish_version_is_really_bad/ and https://steamcommunity.com/app/105600/discussions/0/527274088391936993/). It is a fact that the game is horribly translated, and I do believe that that information has a place somewhere on the wiki (maybe not in the trivia for the settings page, I do admit I didn't think much before making that edit).
- Hi, thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my talk page. First of all, it seems that you didn't have played the game since the 1.3.5 update came out (April 19, 2017) as it added real professional translation for 8 languages including Portuguese. So, I can only recommend you play it again in Portuguese to make sure that everything is now fine even if a few mistakes/typos have been noted by the Portuguese admin already and fixed in his Translation pack on steam.
- Furthermore, yes, the previous translation was awful for all languages and was just a straight copy/paste from google translate but thankfully it's no more.