|Knockback||2 (Very weak) (bullets)|
2.5 (Very weak) (rockets)
|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
(see below for more info)
|Tooltip||66% chance to not consume ammo|
'The catastrophic mixture of pew pew and boom boom.'
- Vortex Beater
- Vortex Rocket
The Vortex Beater is a Hardmode, post-Lunatic Cultist gun that fires bullets at a very high rate and in an inaccurate manner, similar to the Gatligator, but within approximately a 25-degree angle rather than the Gatligator's 45-degree firing pattern. Additionally, it fires a homing, explosive rocket every 0.583 seconds which does not harm the player.
The Vortex Beater has a 66.67% chance not to consume ammo.
Its best modifier is Unreal. Since it does not benefit from speed modifiers, Godly and Demonic provide the same DPS bonus as Unreal.
- The Vortex Beater is unique in that its stated use time does not correspond to its actual fire rate, due to the intricate mechanics of firing the secondary projectile. The bullets' fire rate instead corresponds to a use time of 5 (Insanely fast).
- While it launches both bullets and rockets, it consumes only bullets as ammunition. It cannot use any form of rocket or explosive as ammunition, and will therefore not benefit from the Shroomite Helmet.
- Due to the inaccuracy of the bullets, the Vortex Beater is somewhat better suited against larger enemies and bosses (which may be immune to the knockback effect of the rockets, however). A better ranged weapon for single target damage would be the Phantasm.
- Since the rockets do not hurt the user, the Vortex Beater is an ideal gun for close quarters – it has a high DPS (about 1.5k single target DPS with standard bullets and no damage enhancing armor or accesories), and the explosions knock enemies back.
- It has an animation of acceleration, but it does not actually accelerate the rate of fire. This may indicate that this weapon was originally designed with an accelerating fire rate in mind, just like its counterpart, the Phantasm.
- The Vortex Beater was formerly called the "Blackhole Beater", as seen in one of the spoilers.
- It is one of two firearms in Terraria to feature an operating secondary weapon, the other being the Onyx Blaster.
- After a short delay once the player stops firing, a click of the gun reloading can be heard. However, this has no effect on firing, as the player can fire a continuous stream of bullets without requiring to reload. This sound effect is reused from the Boomstick and the Shotgun.
- The weapon plays the sound of a shot twice for every bullet fired, proven when the weapon is shot once.
- This, combined with the explosive projectiles, may make it the loudest gun in the game.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Reduced sound volume.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Reduced damage from 70 to 50.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Increased damage from 63 to 70.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced.