Vortex armor is a post-Moon Lord set of armor that primarily provides ranged weapon boosts. It is currently the final ranged armor set available on the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile versions. Crafting the full set requires a total of 36 Luminite Bars (144 Luminite) and 45 Vortex Fragments.
In total, Vortex armor pieces apply the following boosts:
- +62 defense
- +36% ranged damage
- +27% ranged critical strike chance
- +25% chance to not consume ammunition
- +10% movement speed
Additionally, equipping a full set grants the player the ability to toggle stealth mode, which has the following effects:
- Decreased chance that enemies will target the wearer
- +80% ranged damage
- +20% ranged critical strike chance
- Decreased movement speed (top speed remains unchanged)
Unlike Shroomite armor, standing still is not required. The Vortex armor's stealth mode is instead toggled manually by double-tapping the ▼ Down key. Moving or grappling does not cancel the effect, and like Shroomite armor, its stealth bonuses are applied to all ranged weapon types. Dashing with items such as the Shield of Cthulhu or Tabi, or riding a Mount will cancel stealth mode. While on a Mount, stealth mode can't be engaged.
- The Settings allow you to switch the set bonus trigger key from ▼ Down to ▲ Up.
- Like all armors made from Luminite, equipping Vortex armor makes the player give off light, in this case teal. The light radius increases with the amount of pieces equipped, but none is emitted while stealth mode is activated.
- While in stealth mode, the Player is unaffected by speed boosts granted by accessories and potion effects, except the running ability of Hermes Boots and their variants, which retain their normal speed.
- After about 5 seconds of running, the boots start to develop a particle effect similar to that of Hermes Boots.
- You can achieve full invisibility using the Familiar set.
- When crafting Vortex armor after the first defeat of Moon Lord, it's wise to make the leggings first. This is because Vortex helmet and breastplate are somewhat inferior to their corresponding pieces in the Shroomite armor set when stealth is not considered. While Vortex helmet seems to provide higher damage boost than Shroomite headpieces, Shroomite headpieces' damage boost stacks multiplicatively with other sources of damage boost, so Shroomite headpieces have higher damage potential when combined with other damage-increasing gears and buffs. Shroomite breastplate offers higher ranged damage and critical chance than Vortex, at the cost of lower ammo conservation. Also, Red Riding Dress can be used as an efficient substitute for Shroomite breastplate.
- Stealth mode is not disabled through the use of wings; this includes the high-speed hovering ability of accessories such as the Hoverboard, Betsy's Wings, Nebula Mantle and Vortex Booster. Equipping one of these can offer good mobility while in stealth mode.
- The Soaring Insignia along with any pair of wings completely negates the negatives of the set bonus, as stealth mode only decreases ground mobility.
- If wearing Hermes Boots or a derivative, running takes significantly longer to start while in stealth mode. This can be avoided by grappling to something and releasing before reaching the target, providing enough speed to begin running immediately upon touching the ground.
- Entering stealth mode while already running with Hermes Boots will not cause them to slow down, keeping you at high speed.
- Taking damage while in stealth mode does not disable it, but the bonuses will be reset for a short time. This could mean that taking damage repeatedly over time can cause a drop in the total damage output. Since they lengthen the invincibility duration of the player, wearing a Cross Necklace or a Star Veil can negate this.
- The full Vortex set resembles the Storm Diver, an enemy from the Lunar Event summoned by the Vortex Pillar, which itself resembles a humanoid wearing a space suit.
- The design has changed from an earlier design shown in spoilers:
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 126.96.36.199: Introduced.