|AI Type||Wall of Flesh AI|
|Debuff tooltip||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape.|
|Duration||While the player is within 1800 feet (900 blocks) from the boss.|
|Debuff tooltip||You are being sucked into the mouth|
|Duration||When the player is within 1800 feet (900 blocks) behind the boss.|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- One of the following 4 weapons will always be dropped
- One of the following 4 emblems will always be dropped
- Healing Potion (5–15)100%
- Treasure Bag(Wall of Flesh)
- Demon Heartwhen no Demon Heart used yet100%
The Wall of Flesh is the final and strongest pre-Hardmode boss, spawnable only in The Underworld. Once it is defeated, the world permanently converts to Hardmode, which brings new content and challenges.
To defeat the Wall of Flesh, the player must attack either its eyes or its mouth. They all share the same life counter, so attacking any of the three will deplete the total health of the boss. However, the eyes have less defense (thus taking more damage) than the mouth. No other parts of the Wall can be damaged.
The Wall of Flesh is summoned immediately 75 blocks away from all visible players when a Guide Voodoo Doll is destroyed by being dropped into lava in the Underworld while the Guide is alive, killing the Guide. Dropping the doll into lava outside of Underworld, regardless if the Guide is alive, will not spawn it, and the Voodoo Doll is destroyed with no effect. In the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Nintendo Switch version, the Wall of Flesh can also be summoned by letting the Guide be killed in the Underworld while the Guide is in contact with lava. Using this method, the Guide can die by any means, either from a player, an enemy or the environment, as long as he is touching lava when he dies.If a Mediumcore player dies in lava (in the Underworld, and Guide is alive) with a Guide Voodoo Doll in their inventory, the Wall of Flesh is summoned.
The Wall of Flesh's sweep direction is determined by its spawn location. Spawning it on either side of the world will cause it to sweep in the opposite direction (regardless of the direction the Doll was thrown). Maximum fight space can be achieved by spawning it at the extreme right or left of the world, though these areas have fewer natural structures and may require additional lava survival gear or construction. Be aware of the fact that The Wall of Flesh might not fight but just leave the battle if you spawn it too close to the edge.
The Wall of Flesh will spawn level with the tile of lava that destroys the Guide Voodoo Doll, then begins adjusting to the player's current tile height.
The Wall of Flesh is very large, occupying the entire screen vertically. Once spawned, it slowly sweeps across the map in a single direction, forcing the player to constantly move away for the duration of the fight, while also contending with the Underworld's usual hazards, if possible. It must be killed before it reaches the other end of the map, otherwise, it will despawn and all players in The Underworld will die (with the unique death message "<Player name> was licked.").
Once the Wall of Flesh has spawned, all players within 1800 feet will be inflicted with the Horrified debuff. The debuff lasts until either the player or the Wall of Flesh dies. If a player dies and then returns to the battle, they will again be inflicted with the debuff. While this debuff is active, players cannot flee the battle, i.e. attempting to escape the Underworld via a Magic/Ice Mirror, Recall Potion, Teleporter, or running far ahead of the Wall and leaving, will cause the player to die instantly with the unique death message "<Player name> tried to escape." Exiting the game and re-entering the world allows for escape, but causes the Wall of Flesh to despawn.
Attempting to leave the Underworld or to get behind the Wall of Flesh will inflict The Tongue debuff. When it is activated, a tendril will snatch the player and draw them into the Wall of Flesh's mouth up to a speed of 56 mph, ignoring blocks in the way, and dealing high damage to the player (50 damage per second). The player will be unable to move or use items while the debuff is active.
The Wall of Flesh moves faster as its health depletes, increasing in speed after reaching 75% (6000 / 8400 / 10710), 50% (4000 / 5600 / 7140), 25% (2000 / 2800 / 3570), and 10% (800 / 1120 / 1428) of its health. In Expert Mode, it accelerates even further with additional increases at 66% (7392 / 9424), 33% (3696 / 4712), 5% (560 / 714), 3.5% (392 / 499), and 2.5% (280 / 357) maximum health. At extremely low health levels, it can reach up to 41 mph in Classic Mode and 50 mph in Expert Mode (as compared to the Hermes Boots at 30 mph, Lightning Boots at 34 mph, and the Bunny Mount at 39 mph).
- The Wall of Flesh has small mouths called The Hungry, each attached by a long vein, which move towards and damage players. As the Wall of Flesh's main body takes damage, they deal more damage and become more resistant to attacks. When sufficiently damaged, they detach and fly towards players at high speed.
- The Wall of Flesh's eyes fire lasers. As its health depletes, the lasers increase in damage and frequency.
- The Wall of Flesh "burps" Leeches from its mouth that chase players. These will also always / with a
20*1/5 (20%) chance drop a Heart when killed.
When the Wall of Flesh is killed, it leaves its drops in a midair frame of Demonite Bricks for Corruption worlds, or Crimtane Brick for Crimson worlds. It will always drop the Pwnhammer, which is required to generate Hardmode ores in the world. (Generated by destroying altars)
- In the Old-gen console version and Nintendo version, the frame is always made of Demonite Bricks.
- In Expert Mode, its dropped Treasure Bag includes a Demon Heart (only if the player opening it has not consumed one yet), which provides the player an additional (6th) accessory slot.
- In Master Mode, the player starts out with a 6th accessory slot, so the Demon Heart adds a 7th.
- The Demon Heart can only be obtained and used once. If the player has already consumed one, additional Treasure Bags will not yield additional Demon Hearts. If the player somehow obtains a second Demon Heart, e.g. from another player or from researching in Journey Mode, they will be unable to consume it.
After defeating the Wall of Flesh for the first time, the status message "The ancient spirits of light and dark have been released." displays and the world permanently converts to Hardmode. Hardmode brings new biomes, new and tougher enemies, and a vast array of new equipment.
Two diagonal stripes of Hallow and Corruption or Crimson form in a "V" pattern from the center of the Underworld, all the way to the surface. Corruption/Crimson and Hallow will spread at a much faster rate, eventually covering large areas of the world if no action is taken.
|AI Type||The Hungry AI|
|Damage||30/60/90 (WoF health >75%)|
4590135 (WoF health 75–50%)
60120180 (WoF health 50–25%)
75150225 (WoF health <25%)
|Defense||10/16 (WoF health >75%)|
20 (WoF health 75–50%)
30 (WoF health 50–25%)
40 (WoF health <25%)
- Internal NPC ID: 115
- Being able to summon the Wall of Flesh depends on the Guide being alive. He cannot respawn if it is nighttime or there is an event in progress. Due to this, the waiting time between multiple fights is often much greater than with other bosses. Timing the fight to finish just before dawn has a chance to allow two or even more fights, especially if the Guide already has an assigned House.
- When directly killing the Guide to summon the Wall of Flesh, its mouth, eyes, and the Hungry will spawn relative to the Guide's position. For example, if the Guide fell deep beneath the surface of the lava, the parts that can be damaged will spawn there. This can be very inconvenient if fighting it.
- It is possible for the Guide to respawn while the Wall of Flesh is alive, although more copies of the boss will not be spawned if one is alive in the world.
- Throwing the Guide Voodoo Doll into a lava pool above The Underworld will not summon the boss. It will, however, kill the Guide.
- Like The Destroyer and Moon Lord, Wall of Flesh is one of the few bosses that does not despawn based on player distance. Once summoned, it only despawns once it reaches the far edge of the world, which also kills the player, if they were there.
- This also means that it will not despawn upon player death, possibly allowing one to carry on with the fight if they reach the underworld quick enough before the Wall of Flesh reaches the end.
- The Wall of Flesh's eyes move up and down on its body to avoid any blocks they encounter. Solid blocks and liquids 4–5 tiles above and beneath the eyes will cause them to shift their positions.
- Although the eyes and mouth of the Wall of Flesh are immune to numerous debuffs, The Hungry are only immune to Confused.
- In a For the worthy world, the Wall of Flesh's eyes and mouth are much smaller, while The Hungry are much larger.
- The Wall of Flesh will despawn if there are no players alive in the Underworld.
- Using a magic mirror while the boss fight is still ongoing will result in your player dying and the death message of "player name tried to escape." to pop up on your screen. The wall of flesh will still be in the map unable to hurt you unless you go to the underworld.
- If you are not ready to fight the Wall of Flesh, avoid both killing a Voodoo Demon while it is above lava, or on the Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Nintendo Switch version letting the Guide get killed in lava.
- For this reason, try to avoid killing Voodoo Demons in the outer quarters of the world, as there are no Ruined Houses, and thus more lava on the far edges of the world.
- If you accidentally do end up summoning the Wall of Flesh, note that it is slow to start, and can be easily outrun via the use of speed enhancers, such as a Swiftness Potion.
- If the Wall of Flesh was recently summoned or the Guide was recently killed in some other way, make sure the Guide has respawned before attempting to summon the Wall of Flesh again. The housing menu, as well as the map, can be used to quickly check if the Guide is present within the world.
- If one wishes to farm the Wall of Flesh, consider making a house in the underworld above lava with actuators on the floor or wire a teleporter. The Demon Conch can also be used to teleport to The Underworld.
- As soon as the guide is inside the housing, activate the actuators then quickly deactivate them. This way, the guide can respawn in the same housing and is ready to be farmed
- Mobility-enhancing items, such as Gravitation Potion, Rocket Boots or one of their upgrades, and various hooks can make traversing The Underworld much easier. Also, flying mounts such as the Honeyed Goggles are good to go over the pools of lava. Similarly, items like Obsidian Skin Potions, Lava Charm, Lava Waders, or an Obsidian Rose can mitigate The Underworld's many lava pools and other ambient hazards.
- Heart Arrows will freeze the Wall of Flesh in place, as long as the arrows hit its mouth.
- Beenades and Molotov Cocktails are highly effective throwing weapons against the Wall of Flesh, especially in Expert Mode.
- Melee weapons are not recommended for fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time, because the close range of this class results in a sizable amount of contact damage. Certain melee weapons with extended range, like the Dark Lance, Yoyosand Flails might prove useful.
- Equipment that inflicts On Fire! are effective against The Hungry.
- An effective and common terrain preparation consists of building a long bridge (at least 500 tiles long in normal mode and even more in Expert or Master). Wood Platforms or Hay blocks are suitable materials due to their abundance. Ruined Houses and hills of Ash Block on the bridge should be cleared to avoid getting stuck during the fight.
- Making the bridge out of Explosion-proof tiles (such as Dungeon Bricks) and using Dynamite can be extremely effective if a player times their throws well.
- For rangers, a hilly platform can help avoiding the boss's lasers. Shoot at the Wall of Flesh from the top of one hill (or slightly behind it) and move to the next hill once it gets too close.
- The Wall of Flesh will always try to stay above land at least 2 blocks thick. Using a bridge that thick will cause both eyes to constantly stay above it.
- Build a long Minecart Track instead of a plain platform because the player can keep up with the boss. This is even more useful in Expert Mode because of its high speed (50 mph) towards the end of the fight. Even when using the default Wooden Minecart, the player can travel faster than the Wall of Flesh, at 51 mph.
- Focus on The Hungry first before significantly damaging the Wall itself. The Hungry's damage and defense are boosted as the body takes damage, which will make them more difficult to kill if left for later.
- Attacking the eyes causes the most damage, as they have the lowest defense.
- – According to the official game lore, the Wall of Flesh is the world's guardian. Once it is defeated, the world itself will search for a new guardian to take its place, and the Hallow is released as a temporary guardian.
- The Wall of Flesh was inspired by the Demon Wall from the Japanese science fantasy video game series Final Fantasy.
- The Wall of Flesh will not despawn when the player dies in singleplayer.
- The Hungry are the only Underworld enemy not immune to the On Fire! debuff.
- Because killing the Wall of Flesh creates strips of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson, if it is defeated near the middle of the map, it may drop a Soul of Light or Soul of Night on death, proving that the world is in fact converted to Hardmode before the status message displays.
- The lead developer of Terraria, Redigit, has confirmed that the Guide is the Wall of Flesh on the official Terraria Discord. This explains the relevancy of his death to the appearance of the boss.
- The aforementioned confirmation is consistent with the fact that the Wall of Flesh is directly referred to as male with the use of "him" in a loading screen tip.
- However, the Steam Trading Cards, and even the Guide himself, say that he is instead a sacrifice to the Wall of Flesh. In addition, the Guide respawns after the Wall of Flesh is defeated.
- The Wall of Flesh is one of two pre-Hardmode bosses that have at least 10,000 HP in Expert Mode, the other being the Deerclops.
- It is one of the three bosses that do not make the classic roar when summoned, the others being the Lunatic Cultist and the Empress of Light.
- The Wall of Flesh is commonly abbreviated as WoF.
- The loot's frame is always spawned at the wall's mouth, and its size is correlated with the size of the mouth. If the mouth's size changes (e.g. via external mods or the For the worthy seed), the frame's size changes accordingly.
- It is the only boss that drops a mount-summoning item in Master Mode. All other Master Mode-exclusive mount-summoning items are dropped by mini-bosses.
- The veining at the back of both eye and mouth is identical to the veins trailing the Eye of Cthulhu.
- The Wall of Flesh can be killed only once in a pre-Hardmode world, as subsequent attempts will likely have the world in Hardmode.
- It is one of the two bosses that need a town NPC to be alive before being summoned. The other is Skeletron.
- In Journey Mode, if Godmode is activated, using a Magic Mirror or similar to teleport out will not kill the player; instead, they will be dragged all the way back to the Underworld via The Tongue debuff.
- The Guide's Steam Trading Card describes the Wall of Flesh as "the god of eternal nightmares."
- Wall of Flesh: "Serving as the world's core and guardian, the towering demon lord exists to keep powerful ancient spirits sealed away."
- The Hungry: "The Wall of Flesh's many mouths, attached by bloody veins. As a last resort, they can tear away and hungrily chase down threats."
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: The Wall of Flesh will always drop 1 weapon and 1 emblem when defeated in Classic Mode.
- Desktop 1.4.2: Fixed an issue where it could drop below the worlds boundary.
- Desktop 1.4.1: Now causes the screen to fade to black and despawns if all nearby players are dead, or there are no players nearby.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed an NPC smoothing issue.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Added Wall of Flesh Relic, a Master Mode exclusive drop that acts as a trophy-like item.
- Added Goat Skull, a Master Mode exclusive drop that summons a goat mount.
- Can now drop the Firecracker whip.
- Can now drop Badger's Hat.
- Can now also be summoned by letting the Guide die in the Underworld while he is in contact with lava.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
- Information taken from the Desktop 18.104.22.168 source code, method
Terraria.NPC.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 22.214.171.124.
- Information taken from the Desktop 126.96.36.199 source code, function
aiStyle == 27part There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 188.8.131.52.
- Terraria's 8th Anniversary - Ask Redigit and Cenx! May 20, 2019
- Redigit's message in #journeys-end-chat on the official Terraria Discord server (link to message)