Always buy more wire than you need!
Wire is a unique item used to connect mechanisms. Generally a mechanism is connected to a triggering item, like a Pressure Plate, Timer, Switch or Lever. Wires are placed using Wrenches, and are retrieved using the Wire Cutter, both of which can only be obtained from the Mechanic. Wire placed by different colored wrenches will be of different colors, which allows independent wire paths to overlap without interfering with each other.
Wire itself is available for purchase from the Mechanic for 5 each, but can also be obtained from naturally-occurring mechanisms, which exist sparsely Underground, and frequently in the Dungeon and Jungle Temple Traps and Chain Lantern/Switch arrangements.
Wires occupy their own dedicated layer when placed, and so can occupy the same tile space as Furniture, Walls, Blocks, and even deep Lava pools, along with any other object. Wires can be placed in midair, without the need for support. Explosions have no effect on placed Wires.
By default, placed Wires are invisible unless the player holds a Mechanism-related item as the tool in hand, (e.g, a Pressure Plate, Wrench, or even a stack of Wire itself). However, if the player is carrying a Mechanical Lens (or more usually its upgrade The Grand Design) they can not only see Wires at will, but can control the visibility of individual wire colors.
With Wrenches and Wire Cutters, the player's Wire placing and cutting reach is roughly 25 tiles horizontally and vertically. With The Grand Design, the player can place or cut Wire anywhere on the visible screen.
Wires are considered "connected" to triggers and mechanisms when they are placed in the same tile space as those items (when they appear to be "touching"). An exception is Statues, which are considered connected to any wires in their 2x3 tile space, even though some statues do not appear to reach a 3-tile height (see adjacent image).
Wire is considered "ammunition" for wrenches, and can therefore be placed in the Ammo slots of a player's inventory.
|Wire Cutter||Removes placed Wire.|
|Actuation Rod||Toggles Actuators on and off.|
|Red Wrench||Places red wire.|
|Green Wrench||Places green wire.|
|Blue Wrench||Places blue wire.|
|Yellow Wrench||Places yellow wire.|
|Multicolor Wrench||Places and removes any color wire.|
|The Grand Design||Places and removes all wire colors, as well as actuators.|
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Trapped Golf, Spider, Lesion, Sandstone, Bamboo, Nebula, Solar, Stardust, and Vortex Chests added.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Now used to craft The Grand Design, Actuation Rod, Announcement Box, Trapped Chests, Sensors and Weighted Pressure Plates.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Sprite updated. Old sprite was
- Desktop 1.2.3: Wire length-limit removed.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Stack limit was raised from 250 to 999.
- Wire length-limit increased from 1000 to 2000.
- Different colors of wire can be placed with different colored Wrenches.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.08:
- Wire length-limit removed.
- Dropped wires now stack themselves.
- Levers can now power multiple wires.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.