The Wizard is a Hardmode NPC vendor who sells magic-related items. As soon as the Wall of Flesh has been defeated, he rarely spawns in the cavern layer or below. Similar to the Goblin Tinkerer, Mechanic, Golfer, Tavernkeep and Stylist, he first spawns as the stationary Bound Wizard. Talking to him will free him, after which he will respawn as long as a vacant house is available, even if killed.
He will occasionally replace his regular quote with a comment about the player's luck. This is the only way to estimate a player's luck value in the game.
The Bound Wizard is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
|Crystal Ball||10||Always available.|
|Greater Mana Potion||5||Always available.|
|Spell Tome||5||Always available.|
|Book||15||On Desktop version, Console version, Mobile version, and Nintendo Switch version.|
|Music Box||10||Always available.|
|Empty Dropper||1||Always available.|
|Wizard's Hat||3||During Halloween.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Living preferences 
For more information, see NPC happiness.
The Wizard may have any of the following names:
- The Dungeon contains a large number of open areas that may provide the most frequent opportunities for the Wizard to spawn. Until defeating Plantera, no new Hardmode enemies spawn there, making it a safe and quick place to search for him.
- A Hunter Potion can be used to locate the Wizard.
If the character is male and the respective NPC is present:
If the character is female and the respective NPC is present:
During a Party:
During a Windy Day:
During a Thunderstorm:
When in a Graveyard:
After defeating Tier 1 of the Old One's Army:
Happiness quotes 
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Hallow:
When in the Ocean:
When near the Golfer:
When near the Princess:
When near the Merchant:
When near the Witch Doctor:
When near the Cyborg:
Wizard luck status quotes 
- The Wizard may be slightly senile or have prosopagnosia, as he confuses the player with NPCs of the same gender that have moved in, and does not realize that there is a Princess in the current world when asked about happiness nearby to her.
- His confusion also may just be poor eyesight due to old age.
- Most of the Wizard's names refer to wizards from popular culture:
- Merlin from the Matter of Britain,
- Michael Moorcock's fictional character Elric of Melniboné,
- Ningauble from the adventures of the two sword-and-sorcery heroes Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and
- Leomund, Fizban, Magius, and Dalamar from the Dungeons & Dragons settings Greyhawk and Dragonlance.
- The name Sargon may be a reference to Sargon of Akkad, first ruler of the Akkadian Empire, or to Sargon the Sorcerer, a fictional mystic, superhero, and sorcerer appearing in DC Comics publications.
- The name Xanadu is a reference to Shangdu, also known as Xanadu, the summer capital of the Mongol-ruled Yuan dynasty of Medieval China.
- Many of the rest, including Hirael, Maelor, Arwyn, and possibly Berwyn, refer to elves created by English author and scholar J. R. R. Tolkien, mostly from the collection of mythopoeic works The Silmarillion and the epic high fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings.
- The quote "Ever wanted an enchanted ring that turns rocks into slimes? Well neither did I." is a reference to the first mod in Terraria which allowed turning blocks into enemies.
- The quote "Someone once told me friendship is magic. [...]" is a reference to the Canadian-American animated fantasy television series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- The quote "I once tried to bring an Angel Statue to life. It didn't do anything." might be a continuation of a running in-game joke about how the Angel Statue is utterly useless.
- The quote "Are you here for a peek at my crystal ball?" refers to the Wizard selling a Crystal Ball. A crystal ball is furthermore very commonly associated with sorcery and clairvoyance.
- The quote "You know, I think I've seen a portal like that before, but it was gold." is most likely a reference to Coin Portals.
- The quote "I can't bring anyone back from the dead, so don't ask!" might be a reference to the Genie in the 1992 American animated musical fantasy comedy film Aladdin.
- The quote "Reminds me of the old days, practicing magic up in a tower in the middle of nowhere!" may be a reference to J. R. R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
- The quote "I feel a terrible fate surrounding you! You should just stay in bed today!" may be a reference to the action-adventure game The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- The quote "Yes, I can go out in the rain and not melt. I'm a wizard, dammit!" may be a reference to the American children's novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It is also the only town NPC quote that contains a swear word.
- The quote "Unfortunate omens hang over your head. You DID forward that letter, right?" may be a reference to the common Chain Letters posted to gather popularity or people to follow said chain. These come in many forms, but a common occurrence is, per example, "Share this post with 5 friends or you will die in 7 days."
- The Bestiary entry for the Wizard: "The Wizard is an absent-minded, demented old man who dabbles in the arcane arts. He sells magical trinkets to train new apprentices."
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed a bug where the condition for the quote mentioning the Guide was that a Demon Eye (rather than the Guide) is present.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Now has a chance to be named "Abram".
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Now sells Empty Dropper.
- Price of Ice Rod reduced from 1 to 50.
- Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Applied changes from PS4's 1.0.750.0 update. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.