There are currently 9 different types of Wood. Crafting recipes that include Any Wood as an ingredient can use any type except Dynasty Wood. Some resulting items may differ in appearance depending on Wood type used, while providing exactly the same use.
There are nine types as follows:
- Wood, from trees in the Forest
- Rich Mahogany, from trees in the Jungle
- Ebonwood, from trees in the Corruption
- Shadewood, from trees in the Crimson
- Pearlwood, from trees in the Hallow
- Boreal Wood, from trees in the Snow biome
- Palm Wood, from trees in the Ocean and Oasis biomes
- Dynasty Wood, purchased from the Traveling Merchant
- Spooky Wood, dropped by Splinterlings and Mourning Wood during the Pumpkin Moon event.
Each type of Wood has a respective:
Pine Tree Block, while only loosely defined as a Wood, can be used to craft some wooden furniture (specifically pine wood). It however cannot be used for recipes that require Any Wood.
Cacti, Gem trees, and Giant Glowing Mushrooms display some Wood-like properties, especially in the sense that they are gathered from background plants cut with an axe. Cactus and Glowing Mushroom cannot be used in recipes calling for Any Wood, however they do have recipes for furniture, tools, and weapons much like those of normal Wood. Gem trees, while having tree-like properties, drop stone and their respective gem.
Some Wood types are found placed in other forms. For example, Underground Cabins generally use Wood corresponding to their biome (i.e. Rich Mahogany in the Jungle, Boreal in the Snow biome, normal Wood basically everywhere else). Living Trees and Living Mahogany Trees are made of Living Wood and Rich Mahogany, respectively.
Recipes (normal Wood)
total: 6 row(s)
Used in (normal Wood)
Used in (any Wood)
total: 109 row(s)
- Creating a new world and cutting down the numerous trees near the spawn point is an effective way of obtaining large amounts of Wood.
- Wood has no sell value on its own, but can contribute to a variety of crafted items that can be sold. Crafting any Wood into Kegs will yield about 8.57 per Wood or 8563 per stack of Wood. However, much greater profits (about 5 per 1000) can be had by adding one Gel for each six Wood, and crafting Candelabras. There are some conditions here: Plain Wood will require a Living Loom, Boreal Wood will require Ice Blocks (as many as the Gel) as well, and Dynasty Wood can do better elsewhere; see the making money guide for full details.
- Wood armor sets are of the few that can be crafted at a Work Bench, along with Cactus, Necro, Pink Snow and Pumpkin.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Used in more recipes.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Used in more recipes.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.