The World Seed feature enables the display of the random seed used to generate a Terraria world, and allows the player to input a custom seed manually when creating a new world.
Worlds generated prior to 1.3.4 will never have a viewable seed; while they were generated with a random seed, that information was only used during world creation, and was not stored in the world file.
Worlds created after 18.104.22.168 will always be able to have their seeds edited upon world creation, regardless of the experimental feature setting.
If a seed is not entered manually during world creation, a seed is automatically generated randomly.
Copying seeds from created worlds
Worlds with a seed display a small seed icon in the world list, allowing the player to see that world's seed and copy it to their computer's clipboard ( only). A copied seed can then be input when creating a new world, which results in a nearly identical generated world, provided it is created with identical parameters (same size, same choice between Corruption and Crimson, and same choice of difficulty).
World seeds are formatted like this:
- 1, if World size is Small.
- 2, if World size is Medium.
- 3, if World size is Large.
- 1, if World Difficulty is Classic.
- 2, if World Difficulty is Expert.
- 3, if World Difficulty is Master.
- 4, if World Difficulty is Journey.
Identifier: The actual unique random seed.
This formatting can be used to automatically set all the initial settings of a world to be as desired.
- Desktop 1.4.2: Fixed an issue where seeds would not always generate identical worlds.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Copy Seed feature is no longer experimental.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Officially implemented in the game.
- Made the world seed also contain the info on the initial settings of a world.
- Fixed an issue where different operating systems would see slightly different world seed results.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Fixed an issue where auto-creating a world from the server caused it to always use the same seed.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Introduced as an experimental feature.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 1.3.5 to Desktop 184.108.40.206.