After defeating Skeletron in a world, the player will gain access to the full Dungeon. This place contains a lot of items and weapons that will ease progression, so players will usually explore it before fighting the Wall of Flesh.
- 1 Pre-Hardmode
- 2 Post-Plantera Dungeon
- Melee and Ranged players benefit equally from Crimson armor. Fossil armor is the only ranged-oriented set at this point, but its mediocre stats mean it is not worth spending extra effort to obtain if it is not already in the player's possession.
- The Corruption exclusive Shadow armor trades the regeneration and the small damage upgrade from Crimson armor for much higher movement and melee speed.
- Meteor or Jungle armor are the best for Magic users. The former combines very well with the 太空枪, while Jungle armor works better with other weapons.
- Summoners can use 蜜蜂盔甲 to maximize minion power, or Obsidian armor to focus on whips.
- Fossil armor is the best choice for Throwing users.
- Melee players should bring the 草剑, 养蜂人 or the 亚马逊球 yoyo. The 链球 or 血肉之球 will help against crowds.
- For Ranged players, the 迷你鲨 and 三发猎枪 are the best guns, while the Bee's Knees is the best bow. Meteor Shots will work well due to their piercing and bouncing abilities.
- Mages can quickly obtain the 水矢 from the shelves with books on them. Other weapons like the 钻石法杖, 魔刺 or 猩红魔杖 can be used as secondary weapons.
- A Summoner can use the 吸血鬼青蛙法杖 or the 黄蜂法杖, as earlier minions will not deal enough damage at this point. A Whip will help, with the strongest option being 荆鞭. Summoners should focus on obtaining Cobwebs and Bones to craft a 脊柱骨鞭.
- Throwers will need 骨投刀 and 标枪.
- 火箭靴 or their upgrades, variants of the 云朵瓶 and, if playing in Expert Mode, the 克苏鲁护盾 are essential for movement.
- 鲨牙项链 gives a rather significant boost to weapons.
- 魔法手铐 are always good when exploring as a mage.
- The Expert mode exclusive 蠕虫围巾 is always good for survivability.
- If playing on 电脑版, the Bone Glove is not a weapon but an accessory, and may provide useful supplementary attacks.
- At least 300 Health and 200 Mana.
- A stack of torches and 治疗药水.
- A decent Hook for easier exploration.
- The 生命体分析机 can help when looking for 地牢史莱姆.
The Dungeon can be found on the far left or far right of the map, opposite to the Underground Desert chasm and Jungle, and in the same side of the Snow biome. If you find a desert with a chasm, the dungeon can be found on the other side of the map. If the player tries to enter the Dungeon before Skeletron is killed, the Dungeon Guardians will instantly kill them when reaching the Underground depth.
Just like the Jungle, the Dungeon has a much higher spawn rate than a normal biome, so it is easy to get overwhelmed by enemies. It is better to progress slowly, taking out any 水蜡烛 seen as they will boost the spawn rate even further. The player will have to deal with many Angry Bones, as well as 诅咒骷髅头 and 暗黑法师. The latter two have the ability to attack through blocks, so caution is still needed when taking cover. 烈焰火轮 and Spike Balls can also spawn. They cannot be killed and will do a lot of damage even if they do not directly target the player. 飞镖机关 are also more common than in other biomes, so at first, a 危险感药水 might be useful.
Unlike other biomes, the 金箱 found in the Dungeon are locked, so 金钥匙 will be needed to open them. They are a guaranteed drop from 地牢史莱姆 and a rare drop from other enemies. They can also be found in the occasional Wooden Chest. When looted, they contain a unique weapon, the Cobalt Shield accessory, or the 暗影钥匙, which is needed to open Shadow Chests in The Underworld; as well as the standard Cavern loot. Special chest loot is spawned in a sequential order, so if the player is missing some items it may be wise to ensure none have been skipped in earlier rooms or splits in the path (see discussion).
The player may also find the 受缚机械师. She can be saved by right clicking her, and then she will move in to an empty house if it is available. If she is killed after being released, she will still respawn like any other NPC. She provides access to the Wire Cutter, as well as the Mechanical Lens informationa l accessory, both of which are handy for avoiding wired traps in the Dungeon and elsewhere.
- When there are forks in the corridor, closing them with blocks can stop the Angry Bones from overwhelming the player from behind or other directions. This makes it easier to clear one path at a time.
- False walls often hide passages through the dungeon. Mining through them can be greatly sped up by rapidly using any grappling hook or throwing Grenades (their sticky variant can help for controlled blasting).
- Moving far enough off-screen causes an inconvenient Spiky Ball or Blazing Wheel to despawn and disappear.
- Spikes can be removed with a Pickaxe, or from a distance with 炸弹. Higher pickaxe power will help you mine them faster.
- Dungeon Bricks can be mined, allowing for new entrances to the Dungeon through a safe mineshaft, or a quick retreat/resupply in case of danger.
- 飞镖机关can be disabled by harvesting them with a Pickaxe.
- If the player wants the Ankh Shield, it is better to farm for the 邪眼 in Pre-Hardmode as it is more difficult to get it from the Post-Plantera Dungeon.
- It may be a good idea to prepare a large open area for farming monsters before defeating Plantera, before the difficulty increases.
The dungeon becomes much more dangerous with the defeat of Plantera. When it is defeated, the message "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..." will appear and much stronger enemies start to spawn. Additionally, enemies with more than 100 health have a small chance of spawning a 地牢幽魂, which drops 灵气 when killed. This new material is used for the Spectre armor, which is the best available for mages until the Moon Lord has been defeated. It is also used to summon the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon. The Biome Chests found previously can now be opened with their respective Keys.
Like every other Hardmode environment, it is better to go in well prepared. It is not a bad idea to defeat the Golem in the Jungle Temple beforehand, as the boss is not too difficult but it drops very good weapons and accessories.
- Melee users should use Chlorophyte or Turtle armor. If Golem has been defeated, the Beetle armor should be used.
- Ranged users have access to Shroomite armor, which is the best set available for them.
- Mages should use Hallowed or Chlorophyte armor until enough Ectoplasm is obtained.
- Summoners should already have Tiki armor or Spooky armor.
- Their best Minion staves are the 血红法杖 or 矮人法杖, while the Desert Chest will additionally provide the useful 沙漠虎杖. The best sentries are the ones that the Tavernkeep sells, and once the Ice Chest is opened, the 寒霜九头蛇法杖.
- The 迪朗达尔 is the best whip available. If Empress of Light or Pumpking have been defeated, the 万花筒 or 暗黑收割 are better to use.
- Wings are a must have at this point in the game.
- 幽灵靴 or their upgrades help a lot with mobility.
- If playing on Expert mode, the 克苏鲁护盾 is very good to have.
- Any Emblem, the 天界石 or 天界壳 as well as any other combat accessory are always good to have.
- The 神话护身符 can be useful when healing.
- 十字章护盾 is useful for negating the many debuffs the enemies inflict.
- Defensive accessories like the 蠕虫围巾 or 星星面纱 are always welcome.
- 魔法手铐 or 天界手铐 are decent for regaining mana as a mage.
Access and Location
For fast access to the dungeon it is best to use a 矿车 track or a 传送机. It is recommended to dig a tunnel down to the main part of the dungeon, so the entrance shaft can be skipped. Choose a farming spot carefully. Stay as close to the entrance as possible, so that it is easy to retrieve dropped items after death. The location should be protected from monsters spawning above. Last, but not least, choose a spot where there is more or less equal distribution of brick, slab and tiled walls for even enemy spawning (see below).
Enemy spawns depend on the Background Walls of an area. A wall type contains its own variant of the Armored Bones, a Caster enemy, and a Skeleton with a ranged weapon. There is also a low chance that an enemy from another wall type will spawn as well.
- 蓝装甲骷髅 will spawn on them. Compared to the other two, they deal the overall lowest damage but are also the hardest to kill, having higher health, defense and knockback resistance. They inflict the 破损盔甲 debuff on hit.
- 死灵法师 are the casters of the area. They teleport very frequently and their beams are very hard to predict, but unlike the other two they cannot attack through blocks. They inflict the 缓慢 debuff on hit, and have a low chance of dropping the 暗影束法杖.
- 骷髅突击手 use a Rocket Launcher to attack. The rocket is very strong and will explode on contact with any tile. They may drop their 火箭发射器 when killed.
- Additionally, the 圣骑士 miniboss can spawn in these walls. It has a lot of health, defense and knockback immunity, making it very hard to kill. Its hammer attack also goes through blocks. Despite this, it is not very mobile, and it cannot attack while taking damage from a player, so these two traits should be exploited when fighting it. It may drop the 圣骑士锤 and/or the 圣骑士护盾 when killed.
- 生锈装甲骷髅 will be found in this area. They have the overall highest damage, and average health and defense. They inflict either 流血 or 缓慢 on hit, but never both.
- 褴褛邪教徒法师 will appear. They shoot three homing projectiles that will inflict the 黑视 debuff, which will greatly reduce visibility. Because of their high damage and homing projectiles that go through walls, they should be prioritized. They have a low chance to drop the 幽灵法杖.
- 骷髅狙击手 carry a Sniper Rifle, and use it to shoot at players from far away. This attack deals massive damage, so the player should always watch out for them. They may drop the 步枪瞄准镜 and/or 狙击步枪 when killed.
- 地狱装甲骷髅 will spawn. They have the overall lowest health and defense stats, while their attack damage is average. They inflict the 着火了！ debuff which will deal a high amount of damage over time and will also stop natural regeneration.
- 魔教徒 are the casters of the area. They shoot a fireball that goes through blocks. This projectile explodes, creating a large fire sphere that lasts for a few seconds and deals massive damage on contact. They should be killed as soon as possible, as their fire can limit the player's movement. They drop the 狱火叉 when killed.
- 骷髅特警 use their 战术霰弹枪 to attack from a distance. While it does a lot of damage, they are unable to attack while being hit, so it will rarely get a chance to shoot if constantly attacked. They may drop their weapon when killed.
骷髅李小龙 and 巨型诅咒骷髅头 appear on all wall types. The former is very mobile and does a lot of contact damage, making close ranged combat dangerous. The latter acts like a normal Cursed Skull, with the added ability to shoot a projectile.
- The 妖灵瓶 dropped by the Armored Bones should be used if obtained as it can keep the player's surroundings lit infinitely without the need to use torches.
- Put Heart Lanterns and Campfires near any farming areas for faster health regeneration. Chairs () and Honey baths can be used for extra healing when not fighting.
- When fighting an enemy, keep attacking for a second or two after they are dead, because Dungeon Spirits' spawning is random. The spirits fly around the player rapidly, which makes it difficult to hit them with small-projectile weapons.